I am in Brazil! My first night here, I stayed alone with my dad for about 20 minutes while my step-mom ran an errand. He was in his room, so I thought I'd go and watch TV with him. Thankfully, his TV reception was horrible. We talked instead.
We had the conversation I had been thinking about for months now ... telling him everything I wanted to make sure he knew before we lost the opportunity. I wasn't expecting to have this conversation my first night here, but my dad started it. With him, I feel this sense of not wasting words (he cannot talk above a whisper) and not wasting time. I don't want to publicize all that we talked about.... I will say that when my step-mom and brother came back, we were in tears holding each other.
He has truly entered a different realm from the one most of us inhabit. I am learning a lot being around the man who used to pick me up and make us laugh by holding furniture over his head like the incredible hulk. He now cannot feed himself. Today I picked him up. Today I fed him. I cannot put into words what that feels like.
No comments:
Post a Comment