Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Implant Update

Yesterday, as K walked down the hospital corridor, one hand in mine, one hand in his Speech Therapist's hand, we ran into his surgeon.  Such a caring man who smiled to see little K.  He was happy to hear that K is saying "Oh, oh" and practicing other words.  He squatted his whole 6 ft, 6 in (?) frame down to check on K's scars and to make sure the magnets on the back of his head are not too strong.  I love that man!  We continued down the hallway.  All eyes on K, as he flirted and giggled along the way.

I cannot believe it has only been two months since his surgery.  He has adapted so well to his new gear.  And it is a bit of gear for a little guy.  He will grow into it more and be able to wear the whole apparatus around his ears and not attached to his shirt as you see in the pictures.  This morning, as I got him up from his crib, he immediately pointed at his ears for me to put his receivers on.  He loves to hear.  He loves to make noise.  I often forget he is deaf.  It really is a miracle.  He cannot wear his gear though, when he sleeps, when he takes a bath, goes to the beach, or has anything to do with water.

So he wears this gear all of the time when he is not in one of the above situations.  He hears ZERO without them.  People ask the funniest questions (just to add to the ridiculous adoption questions we get asked).

Will he eventually be able to hear without them?  Umm... no.
What are those sensors on his head?  Sensors?  No, he is not a bug.
Is that a blue-tooth?  Hello????  Yes, my baby is in a special unit of the CIA. He is talking to his superior right now. You better be careful what you say.

I'm reporting you for asking stupid questions!  See my face?  You don't want to mess with me!

The gear is amazing.   It all came in two suitcases.  Yes, we have two suitcases of gear. We have two sets of everything just in case (so he never has to lose hearing for any large amount of time) ... and there are TONS of accessories- not bling, just different size cables and connectors and magnets and tools and holders and on and on.  There is always a back-up of everything.  It is complicated - though for us, it has become second nature pretty quickly. For a baby, everything falls off all of the time.  The magnets come off easily (or they would cause sores underneath), the receivers fall off and the gear is just big for his little ears.  At night, we take the gear apart.  The batteries, which are now worn on his clothing, get put into chargers to charge overnight.  The rest of the gear is put into an electronic drying device overnight.  We call everything his ears, since they are his ears.  We put our baby to bed and then we have to put his ears to bed separately.

I mentioned we were at the hospital.  We go there once every week for Speech Therapy.  Though his therapist is super nice, cute and sweet, K can't stand her.  He will stand her (or anybody) if they hold his hand to walk, but that is it.  Every single session we've had, he's thrown a temper tantrum.  My boy can yell ... remember those early days when we didn't know why he yelled?  Well, now we do and he still yells.  He yells, arches his back, throws down some major crocodile tears and has a pity party.  She still smiles at him every time.  God bless her.

At home, we continue to work on sounds and words and I try to talk to him as much as possible.  We have a box full of ooo-ooo's, choo-choo's, ssss-ssss, brrr-brrrr, aaah, ahhhs, pt-pts, moo-moo's, meows, etc, as these sounds are assigned to specific little toys to help him produce those sounds.  Just like his big brother, his favorite sound is the brrr-brrr and he does that as he pushes his little cars around.  He is learning to say "hi", "bye" and "up" at the moment.  Very, very cute.

Now, let me search my hundreds upon hundreds of pictures (had to get an external hard drive) to see if I find some pictures of K and his gear for your viewing pleasure.

Not walking yet doesn't stop K from riding this up and down the park.

K running away at our photo shoot
My baby is bionic.  And I love it!

20 comments:

  1. I love it! And I love our bionic baby! Yes, people do ask the stupidest things, bless them...

    Beijos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Evelyn, he is so cute! I didn't realize all that goes into caring for his "ears." Thanks for the info. That is huge, and so wonderful, of course, that he can hear. Sounds like you have a great support crew. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my goodness, you and his ears!

    I love this post. I would post a post on this post I love it so but I have to go make dinner.

    Yay for bionic babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are joking about those questions that people ask, right?????!!!! Some people are just crazy. Little K is the cutest with all his gear going on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evelyn,

    I love the humor in this post. Some mamas might not be able to handle all of K's equipment and therapy as well as you, but as they say, bionic baby--bionic mama..well that's what I''m saying anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah Dr. W.! yeay Kibru! YEAY Evelyn! Marvelous post! So happy to hear he is making such gains & so comfortable. But the SLP in my feels badly for Kibru's SLP! Have her give him some M&M's or something! Poor lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the update! I am so glad that K is doing well with his new 'ears.' It's amazing what modern medicine can do and I am so glad K was able to be on the receiving end. Keep up the good work with those "oooohs" "brrrrs" and "ups!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a doll! Putting his ears to bed separately cracked me up. What a terrific mom you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting update for all of us! Thanks! He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've found that comments about special needs have so far trumped the adoption comments in their stupidity and inappropriateness. I once had someone pick up M and tell him he needed to start walking now because he was too old to crawl. (I caught him before he toppled to the floor, so no physical harm done.)

    I love, love, love the caption of the first photo! Thanks for the update, I've been wondering how he's been doing. Nice to read he's starting to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy is he a cutie! and BTW- Teg still gets weirded out by women or couples who pay too much attention to him. So maybe it's that with the speech therapist or maybe he has another sense taking over... and she creeps him out for a reason?? jk ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your response to the bluetooth comment is priceless.

    He is such a beautiful baby!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Special Agent Kibru is such a beauty cutie. It's so hard to get a sense of the size of babies and kids from pictures, but he looks so little in these. Bionic, but still so little. I love that he wants his ears on first thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your boys are so very handsome! So interesting to read your experiences and challenges, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray, such a great post! You sound so happy, and you have so many (well, two especially) reasons to be. What a gorgeous bionic boy you have - and more FANTASTIC photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing! Hooray for bionic baby and a happy Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Is that a bluetooth?" Bwahaha! I would just say, "absolutely." Haha. And your bionic baby is the cutest dream ever. I am SO glad and amazed that he is able to hear. wow wow wow!

    Theresa
    www.eastiopians.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I seriously hooted out loud at the BlueTooth comment....oofunny! I made my husband pause his show and listen to me read your responses to those comments.

    (People are soooo dense especially to ask, not necessarily to wonder what it is, but to ASK that - like your baby is talking on a Bluetooth?? LOL. Cuckoooo.)

    You are an amazing, amazing, amazing Mother. Evelyn, I can't even explain with words how I am aweinspired by you and your patience and intense love and strength. Not that you wouldn't adore your children any way they are, but let's face it some women (like me!) may not be as gracefully solid faced with the adversity and demands with your littlest one. (I wish I could say I know I would be, but I can't say that. I could only hope.) You inspire, truly.

    Abrazos to you - and heavy, heavy love to you and your family.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...