If you are looking for a post about dancing, you might want to stop reading. Because this post is not about dancing at all. It is about real stuff - consider yourself warned, dear reader. You don't have to keep reading at all.
Last week, I started cutting back my caloric intake. Way back. I noticed a pattern that happens whenever I try to get back into shape. I become incredibly, emotional. For me, cutting calories had the side effect of making me sad, weepy and depressed. I saw my therapist and mentioned this to her. She turned my perception on its head and catapulted me on a journey that I am trying to gather the courage to stay on. She suggested that since I have the history of self-medicating with food, that perhaps the feelings I am feeling have been there all along. Perhaps these feelings are true feelings that I've been pushing down with food and not merely a side effect of taking in less calories.
What she said rung so true to me that I have been trying to let myself get down, feel down so that I can try to figure out the source of these feelings. It is no fun. I feel a deep sadness and I cannot really put my finger on it. Some things have bubbled up to the surface and I hope that in time, I will have a fuller picture of why I feel such melancholia.
In addition to cutting calories, I have also started to pray again. What was once such a big part of my life has been left on the sidelines during the time that I most needed it, the almost three years now since we've had our children. It strikes me that I turned to prayer for more balance and wholeness, but along with the calorie thing, it has actually led to my feeling more imbalanced and fragmented. But I have trust. I trust that going down this path will be good in the long run. But right now, I feel like yuck.
Motherhood (alongside the motherhood of my friends) has been a
deeply lonely time for me. You young children take so much of your time and
energy, that you have precious few hours and precious little energy to
nurture your relationships. Rarely do free time and enough energy
coincide into that moment where you can really make a connection with
someone else, or even with yourself.
I don't just miss other people, I
also miss ME. What happened to that person who used to blog and
journal? The one who felt halfway interesting? I feel so bored and boring now in the midst of my 15 weekly trips to drop
off/pick up kids from school, my endless loads of laundry, my endless
pleas for better behavior, my countless trips to the park, my trips to
the grocery store, and even reading those cute books OVER and OVER to my
beautiful boys. You have to admit, motherhood has an element of
BOREDOM. Yes, it is amazing to see your children grow and blossom
yadda, yadda, yadda, but it is also boring and tedious.
My life is a good one. I love it. I have been gifted beyond
imagining. But deep down,
there is some despair, some sadness and I wish I could understand it. I
think it includes loneliness, disconnection, boredom, a general feeling
of being unappreciated and of being spent. But I have the suspicion it
includes more than that. I am tired of eating these feelings down.
The more I face these emotions rising in me, the less I want those extra
calories. I really want to get to the other side of this (whatever
that may mean), free to live my range of emotions without feeling I have
to medicate somehow. I know I will be a better parent and person for
it, closer to my true self.
I am contemplating whether or not I will actually publish this blog post but reaching out seems to be an important part of my working through whatever this is. Perhaps you feel some of these things? The friends I once had on my emotional speed dial now have busy lives. I think of calling one, but she has moved far away. I think of calling another, but she has her own problems. I think of this other gem of a friend and think she has so much going on in her life. Then there is the friend who disappeared about two years ago, whom I miss very much. And I wonder, did she disappear because I called her with too many problems? I could go on and on with excuses for not reaching out personally. And I stay in my little corner, feeling lonely, with the sneaky suspicion that some of my friends are lonely, too. Perhaps making the same excuses.
As if on cue, I hear Bill and the boys coming up the driveway, back from the park. Onto baths, hair day, dinner and books. And now that I've aired some emotional laundry, that routine actually sounds good.
Thank you for posting this. I hear you. I hear you. I so hear you...
ReplyDeleteStill thinking of you, Allison! Hoping your day is going to come soon!
DeleteI hear you too.
ReplyDeleteAmiga, call me. I will always be here, we can exchange discussions on woes. I won't inundate you with mine first, but listen, te prometo.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same in the sense that sometimes I feel like such a shitty mother because I constantly long to make time for my passions and constantly feel that it exchanges time I should be spending with my son. Perma-Guilt.
Te quiero.
We should talk soon! Te extrano!
DeleteEvelyn,
ReplyDeleteThanks for putting into words what so many feel, about motherhood and also just about life. I appreciate now, like I always have, your honesty.
Love you.
Oh Evelyn. I love you. Parts of motherhood are extremely lonely. Please call me this week. We can cheer each other through the school pick-ups.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds really nice!
DeleteLast winter I had a profound realization that motherhood is lonely. There is a necessary changing of us to do the job of motherhood - we give up some of ourselves, sometimes more than other times - and while our lives are full of life (is there anything more full of life than a couple of kids under your roof?), our children are not our best friends. They're not supposed to be. We're supposed to be the mom raising the kids who will then grow up and.... leave. Yes, they bring us immeasurable joy, but also this deep loneliness. At least that's what I feel.
ReplyDeleteA few weeks ago I had another profound realization. Now, you know I am a mom that does things for myself. I work hard at my own business, run, see friends, read the newspaper, and on and on. I hire sitters and go out. I have a life outside of my kids. But I realized that there comes a time when I give up something I want really badly for myself, something I need, something THAT MAKES ME 'ME.' And I have to do it for the kids because what I want is far from their best interests. I am 8 years into motherhood and I'm just now getting that? Geez.
Such great words here, Rebekah! I will be mulling this over ... it is right along the lines of some of what I've been thinking. Thank you.
DeleteMe too Bek. That was very insightful.
DeleteI'm lonely and I love you! And I get it. You've absorbed so many of my acute crisis moments, you could never call me enough to make me disappear. One thing that I admire so much about you is your self-awareness and ability/wilingness to name and do hard work, even when it sucks.
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you for facing these things. They are not easy. Call friends. Always. It helps. I've learned only that one piece of advice in all my years of ups and downs with sadness. Call friends.
ReplyDeleteYou are precious and you are never boring, but the work of motherhood (if you stay home) is very boring. Pray, journal, be mindful of what you eat. Life will be richer for it. And call. Always call.
Love you.
We should set up a motherhood conference call, where we all call in and talk about all this stuff. I feel like I could write on and on about it. Ev, the reason I went back to work, after quitting my job was because those 3 months home alone with my kids, was simultaneously wonderful and lonely. And I too eat to self medicate. I love you, and I hope you know you can call ANYTIME!!! Honestly, I am never too busy for kindred mothers-women-sisters-friends. Love you.
ReplyDeletethis rings true in every word. I love everything everyone wrote and agree with every thing. (See how lost I am... can't even think of a unique reply.) You're beauty shines through E and gives light to the rest of us. hugs.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I wonder, how is it that the laundry continues to reproduce, never fully going away. Doesn't anyone else care about having clean clothes on? or clean towels to use? Forget about the idea of having it all, even having what we want is difficult. Because no situation will ever be just as we imagine it to be, so we learn to accept it as it is. I love my kids, being a mom, a parent. But there are also times I don't like it at all, and I just want to be selfish and do nothing at all but read, or something. i too miss my blog, i should erase it as its been so long since I have written, but I cant seem to do it yet. I still feel some hope of writing again, and not feeling guilty about writing when there is dishes, laundry, vacuuming etc piling up. When I don't dread my husband asking what my thoughts are for dinner, or what did you do today? for if I say I spent 3 hours writing, or reading there is that utter look of "unfairness" across his face, and the thought that I've disappointed yet another person dependent on me.
ReplyDeleteYou are definitely not alone, not at all.
When I was a stay at home mom the first year when Orange came home, I too felt a loss of self...lonliness, boredom with who I am/was. For some reason, I neeeeed to work. Even though I have a big lump of guilt for being away from my kids while I work. Go figure. But it's better for me. Not to say that is what you are going through, but I just wanted you to know that I get it. And I am glad that you are praying again. Even if it makes you feel more disconnected right now, you are in the midst of building a stronger connection. By letting it all go, being honest about it all...you are taking steps towards connection with yourself, your creator, your family, and your friends. I love you so much Ev. You are a dear friend. I am sorry that I haven't been there for you as much as I need to...as much as I want to. I love to chat with you on the phone. I love you in person even more. You are a bright light. Sending you a lot of love during your healing. xoxo
ReplyDeleteThank you for having the courage to publish this post. I hear you, and I'm not quite a mom yet. I have some depressive tendencies, and I too am an emotional eater, and I wonder how I will do once my long-held dream is a reality. I know it won't be all rainbows and unicorns. I wish you the best as you work through these struggles.
ReplyDeleteEvelyn, Thanks for sharing such profoundly honest and intimate words. It helps to know that other moms feel that loneliness and isolation. Today is Noah's birthday. He is seven years old today! Hard to believe. My birthday is on Saturday--seven years ago this Saturday, my case worker called to tell me that they had my baby. It has been amazing and wonderful and Noah is such an easy child. But I too feel drained and underappreciated. I am a single mom who for almost a year and a half now has been serving as an interim pastor (which in this case means I have been doing all the work for half the money). The search committee is looking for a permanent pastor and I am wondering how I am ever going to find the time to look for a full-time permanent ministry position. I am loving this new role in ministry, but wonder if I will find a position as a woman pastor. So in addition to the exhaustion and stres of being a pastor and a single mom and always broke, I live with the anxiety and fear that the church might call a pastor and leave me jobless. It is good for me to work--I think I need that. I think it would be hard to go from working to being a stay-at-home mom. I hope that your blog about this will result in making some good connections or reconnections with some fellow moms who also need to connect and nurture themselves as persons. It is hard to find times that work to connect with other moms. I always say that the slowest cars on the road here are men in pick-up trucks. Men (and I'm guessing yours is an exception to this) in general only go to work and then come home to dinner that their wives have prepared for them. Women are working, grocery shopping, chauffering children, going to school and church meetings, cooking and cleaning... People asked me before I adopted Noah how I was going to do this as a single mother. I told them that many of my female friends work and yet are still doing all of the household and family related stuff--so I didn't think it would be much different. Motherhood is the greatest thing I have ever done and also the hardest thing I have ever done. It is like minstry in that it is never "done." There really is no end to the things that need to be done, you just plug along today and do what you can do and then pick it back up the next day. I am also one who "medicates" with food. I tell myself that food is pretty much my only pleasure. I really don't have friends here that I do stuff with that is separate from kids. I really don't do anything that is just for me. So, my one indulgence is food. Know that you are not alone! I will pray for you! Maybe someday Noah and I can do a trip to the aquarium with you and the boys--Noah loves the aquarium! Keep blogging, girl! Your words touch lots of people!
ReplyDeleteYou need to come see me. It's not that far. Or we should meet up at Steph's. I miss you, Chica!
ReplyDeleteLet's!
DeleteI'm so glad you hit publish. The work you are doing now to feel your feelings is so important. It is hard, but in the end so much good will result. I think sometimes that in the "be your best you" messages we hear everywhere, there is so much pressure to just push down anything that doesn't seem like the "best." I hate that. There is nothing wrong with feeling sad; it is an appropriate emotion to have, even if your'e not sure where it's coming from. Keep feeling what you feel. Healing and wholeness will come.
ReplyDeleteMary - thank you for your words. The fact that you take time to write a comment when you have so much going on in your life means a lot to me! I am so amazed that you can keep writing! Gobez!
DeleteYou are on a good path. Feel the feelings, however bad they might feel. Motherhood is just another avenue to live our lives, it doesn't need to become our lives. We live through it, as we do marriage or divorce or jobs or friends. Flow with it and keep reaching out. It's a gift, all of it. Hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteMaybe we are emotional twins? "...there is some despair, some sadness and I wish I could understand it. I think it includes loneliness, disconnection, boredom, a general feeling of being unappreciated and of being spent." OMG yes.
ReplyDeleteMy issues are different than yours now, of course, but a lot of the feelings are the same. I remember my one year at home when Valentino was a baby and Francisca was 4. I didn't work for 9 months, (didn't "work" ha ha, you know what I mean)and I was nearly crazy, a different crazy from the sorrow I often feel now.
Just have to say, you are doing wonderfully! Keep on, and do take as good care of yourself as you are of your boys. Pray, exercise, meditate. Do what feeds your soul so you can be strong for your kids.
And you could call me, too! I have to meet you someday. You seem just so vibrant and special. I admire you from afar.
(And if you want to lose a couple of pounds, well, you probably already know the big "secret." Go to bed hungry. :) That's infallible. Plus, it really makes you look forward to getting up in the morning, ha ha. Not that I do that; but the few times in the past when I have, magic morning skinnyness!)
Gracias, amiga. I appreciate you and no, I did not know that secret. Good one! I cannot believe we have not met yet. We must remedy that!
Deletexo
I admire your bravery for writing this and putting it out there. I've been feeling a lot of this lately, as I adjust to my role as full-time parent in a new city. I feel like there is so much to do, and I'm never doing enough of it, and most of what I do is just treading water, and then I berate myself for not being happier, and berate myself for berating myself... it's soooooo not useful, but I can't seem to get away from it. It's hard.
ReplyDeleteMotherhood can be so lonely. I appreciated this post so much. I hope you do come out on the other side. And as for the friend that disappeared, I had a few people do that too, and it eats at me. I feel like I did something wrong. Beautiful sharing, E. Thanks.
ReplyDelete