Monday, December 06, 2010

Carry Me Home

I went to yoga for the first time tonight in months.  Not surprisingly, I found myself crying during savasana.  After an hour plus of twisting, stretching and moving to soothing music, silence and candlelight, it all came pouring out.  I had this subconscious thought that arose, that I was home.  Why home?  Because for those 90 minutes, even though I was in a room with other people, I was focused solely on me.  Thoughts and stress fell away as I moved.  I realized how much I miss me and how lost me has become.

We are nearing the one year mark of a family at home  (Dec. 26).  We have all been physically here, in one place, under one roof, but we have all in one way or another been trying to find out what home really means.  For all of us, it has meant an upheaval, a turning upside down of everything we once knew.  It has been a stressful (to say the least) journey, but it has also been a journey filled with unmatched gratitude and amazement. 

I just went to check on the boys in their room as they sleep.  They are so beautiful and wonderful that my heart aches thinking about them.  They are also so needy, so tantrum filled, so present 24/7, that I feel as though a tornado picked me up at the end of last year.  It has been twirling me around and I've been getting hit with debris, only to be put down (I think I've been put down) to find myself completely and utterly off balance, lost and light headed.

But I do feel (hope) that I am feeling some solid ground beneath me.  What I need is some major courage.  For the last couple of years, especially during the wait, I found that mindlessness and staying away from the depths, the heavy stuff, was one way to ward off the intense pain of longing for my children.  It seemed easier to stay "light." Only it became a habit, one that has kind of kept me in a fog this year (along with those two sweet boys, who are demanding something of me ALL of the time).  I have avoided the deep end - the pain of my children's history, the pain of the transtornation of my life.  For a while, it was literally more than I could bear (thank God for medication)!

I am tired of shallowness.  There are some amazing things I have missed this year because I was either too caught up in that tornado or too afraid of experiencing the enormity of what has been happening to me.  Going back to yoga tonight reminded me of what it feels like to live more deeply.  I have a Brian Andreas print by my dresser that a friend once gave me.  He recognized me in it once, but it has most certainly not been me lately.  On it, there is a quote that says:
She said she usually cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short.


Today, I cried - not out of utter exhaustion or frustration, as my cries have been lately.  I cried with relief to be with myself again.  I cried because in 90 minutes of silence, I connected with my own soul.  The last song that played in class brought it all to perfection:  "Swing low, sweet chariot, coming for to carry me home."  It was sung by a woman with the sweetest voice, in a slow, Celtic kind of way.  It was a strange selection for yoga class, but perfect for me. 


--------

 Note:  Reading blogs has been something that I have had a hard time doing, too.  I have been avoiding both pain and beauty.  Don't give up on me!  I want to come back.

20 comments:

  1. This is a great post...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah. I know that yoga cry thing. More so, though, I know exactly what you're talking about. Exactly. For my first kid, it took me two years to get back. Then 1 year after the 2nd. Not sure how this one will play out, because it's the 2nd that's taking me down. But I do always come back home. Different. Far wiser. And far more tuned in to all that is life.

    I think of you often as we struggle here day to day!

    rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. evelyn ... what a beautiful post. so full of honesty and reflection and truth. i am on this path too ... really trying to reconnect to myself in a brave and honest way. i'm here with you always. love and love and love and love and more love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evelyn, I know exactly what you mean. I've been doing the same thing for far too long. For different reasons maybe, but ultimately for the same. Like you said, "I found that mindlessness and staying away from the depths, the heavy stuff, was one way to ward off the intense pain..."

    I don't want to live like this... but I'm not ready to deal with my pain. It's hard... But I'm inspired to know that there is someone else out there trying to come to life again as well.

    Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Te mando abrazos fuertisimos, amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, Evelyn. I'm so glad you felt in touch with that part of yourself. Don't stop going to yoga, girl. Give yourself that thing over and over again. Stay in touch with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear sweet woman, thank you for writing this. It's so much. How do you plant your feet on the earth when a tornado has hit? Yoga is so right. I just took out my yoga mat yesterday but then didn't get to it. Today! You've given me the inspiration.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Evelyn,

    Yoga always makes me cry esp in Savasana--I thought I was the only one! I love that Brian Andreas print, I see it all the time and always think it should be hanging in my house. You have inspired me to do a little bit of yoga tonight. And as usual you inspire me with your words and the way you live your life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. It's an excellent reminder for all of us. I hear you about 'keeping things light' I have a tendency to do that as well... But it sounds like you are emerging in a really good place and taking that time to yourself is so vital for you and your family. I am glad you are able to take that time. Oh, and I too love Brian Andreas, we have a few of his prints and my mother in law has a ton of his stuff (prints and his mixed media sculpture-things). He has a way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is exactly what I needed to read this morning. Thanks and hugs.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, Evelyn. I am glad you found some time for yourself. We'll be here when you are ready to read blogs again, and in the meantime, sending lots of wishes for more of what you found at yoga last night. XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I could write a similar post. I love, love that art print and the quote is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you're finally coming home...I can definitely relate to the tornado feeling! Someone asked me today how things were going, and I could honestly say that finally this month I feel like I've got my act together in a way that has seemed totally out of reach until now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Evelyn, I'm so glad you are finding "you" in all the craziness of your new life. I understand what you are saying in your lovely post. I too have been a bit offline and I'm just getting back to blog reading. I've missed you and everyone out there but sometimes it all just hurts too much. I hope you make yoga a regular thing now you made it back. For me, its swimming and I'm away to do that now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm thankful for you sharing this. As a mama-to-be who really enjoys her me time, I worry a bit about how I will handle losing that me time. It sounds like you are about to the point where you can find some time and energy for yourself. Oh, and I love Brian Andreas! We have a few of his prints. I love his way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW. "She said she usually cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short." I see you in that, and maybe a little of myself, too. Love it so much! Sending YOU tons of love, too. What a year, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely post, from lovely you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought I was the only person that this yoga crying thing had happened to! So much releif and encouragement I find here. This is a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just reading this now. Thank you. It is the motivator to "get back to me" that I needed (said while still sitting on couch). I knew I needed to sometime.. but I think the time is now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just came across your beautiful blog (via sticky mango feet) and am so glad I did. I am relating to so much of your writings. This post is so beautiful....and I so have found myself totally releasing in savasana. Not surprising that our souls just need that.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...