

I can't believe I am really in France! And Paris, nonetheless! I arrived early this morning and though I've had fun, I've been in a fog from jetlag! My room at the Hotel Port Royal is very nice and clean. From my window, I look down into a nice little garden. The only thing that I don't like about the hotel is that you have to pay 2.50E fro 5 min in the shower down the hall. What a ripoff! Especially for me, who is used to 15 minute showers - that would be a $10.50 shower! My room does have a BIG sink, so I bought some funky European washcloths - it's a square towely pouch - and I'll be sponging off for FREE!
Well, on to the adventures of the day. It was raining, so I decided to go to the Louvre. Smart, right? No! I went to the pyramid - it was closed. There were signs that seemed to say the rain made it slippery & to go in another door. I went to another door among throngs of tall running waifs. Inside, there was some fashion show going on, though at first I thought the waifs really wanted to see the Mona Lisa like me. I try to go in one way or the other and realize that the Louvre doesn't open on Tuesdays. I was dissappointed, but I could see the Arc de Triumphe and the tip of the Eiffel Tower, so I decided to walk on the Champs Elysees.
I walked for about a block and realized I was feeling faint and had no idea when I'd last eaten. I went to Angelina's, a tea house. I was treated SO nicely, especially after I explained that I was a Brazilian living in the U.S. I had a Chocolate L'Africain and a tarte du citron (a hot chocolate made our of melted chocolate, topped with whipped cream and a citrus tart). The combination was divine and the setting was so fun! I realized I was almost at Ile de la Cite, so I went in search of Notre Dame.
I went over Pont Neuf, Paris' oldest bridge. I saw Notre Dame for the first time unexpectantly as it appeared from behind a building. Even in dreary, wet weather, the sight of it was breathtaking. I took an audio tour inside. I cannot wrap my head around things that are as old and grand as this church. I loved it!
I walked to Ile St-Louis along the seine. The river and all of the bridges are also gourgeous, even in the rain. Ile St-Louis has antique as well as other curious little shops. I did a bit of window shopping and mostly looked at the buildings.
It is only 5 pm here and I am about to drop. My body thinks it's 11 am but I haven't slept but about 2 hours since yesterday morning! Time to nap!
Dinner tonight was at Jardin des Pates. I had a wonderful pasta dish with Salmon, leeks, seaweed and creme fraiche (recommended by Lonely Planet). I also had a glass of vin blanc. I took my time so I could enjoy the food and the ambiance. It was a nice little restaurant about a 15 minute walk from my hotel. The waiter and I only spoke in French - soulement un petit peux, but I was proud!
I walked aroudn the Latin Quarter for a while. I watched people walking, buying their flowers, meat, sweets and bread. Every other person was carrying at least one baguette. People who live around here seem to have a very high quality of life.
On a different note, people are a lot more creative about transportation: scooters, tiny cars, bicycles, self-service bike rental stands, mopeds, trains, buses, metros, scateboards -- everywhere! I even saw what looked like a reverse tricycle - two parallel wheels in front and one in back.
(To see the pictures on the right in a larger format, double click on the image.)
Well, on to the adventures of the day. It was raining, so I decided to go to the Louvre. Smart, right? No! I went to the pyramid - it was closed. There were signs that seemed to say the rain made it slippery & to go in another door. I went to another door among throngs of tall running waifs. Inside, there was some fashion show going on, though at first I thought the waifs really wanted to see the Mona Lisa like me. I try to go in one way or the other and realize that the Louvre doesn't open on Tuesdays. I was dissappointed, but I could see the Arc de Triumphe and the tip of the Eiffel Tower, so I decided to walk on the Champs Elysees.
I walked for about a block and realized I was feeling faint and had no idea when I'd last eaten. I went to Angelina's, a tea house. I was treated SO nicely, especially after I explained that I was a Brazilian living in the U.S. I had a Chocolate L'Africain and a tarte du citron (a hot chocolate made our of melted chocolate, topped with whipped cream and a citrus tart). The combination was divine and the setting was so fun! I realized I was almost at Ile de la Cite, so I went in search of Notre Dame.
I went over Pont Neuf, Paris' oldest bridge. I saw Notre Dame for the first time unexpectantly as it appeared from behind a building. Even in dreary, wet weather, the sight of it was breathtaking. I took an audio tour inside. I cannot wrap my head around things that are as old and grand as this church. I loved it!
I walked to Ile St-Louis along the seine. The river and all of the bridges are also gourgeous, even in the rain. Ile St-Louis has antique as well as other curious little shops. I did a bit of window shopping and mostly looked at the buildings.
It is only 5 pm here and I am about to drop. My body thinks it's 11 am but I haven't slept but about 2 hours since yesterday morning! Time to nap!
Dinner tonight was at Jardin des Pates. I had a wonderful pasta dish with Salmon, leeks, seaweed and creme fraiche (recommended by Lonely Planet). I also had a glass of vin blanc. I took my time so I could enjoy the food and the ambiance. It was a nice little restaurant about a 15 minute walk from my hotel. The waiter and I only spoke in French - soulement un petit peux, but I was proud!
I walked aroudn the Latin Quarter for a while. I watched people walking, buying their flowers, meat, sweets and bread. Every other person was carrying at least one baguette. People who live around here seem to have a very high quality of life.
On a different note, people are a lot more creative about transportation: scooters, tiny cars, bicycles, self-service bike rental stands, mopeds, trains, buses, metros, scateboards -- everywhere! I even saw what looked like a reverse tricycle - two parallel wheels in front and one in back.
(To see the pictures on the right in a larger format, double click on the image.)
What a great adventure you are having! I love it! It will be great to have you back and hear all about it in person, and see you again!
ReplyDeleteI love you,
Mama