Thursday, February 28, 2008

Paris Day 3 (jeudi)





Today, I woke up tired and could have slept more, but wanted to see more of Paris! By the suggestion of Lyn Breck, I walked to see Luxemburg Gardens. There is a palace there, beautiful park and gardens. It looked like the sort of place that would be amazing in the spring. But today, it looked like it was missing its flowers, and as if to hurry them, the rain came. On the grounds, I found a little cafe which looked like a cabin in a forest. There were some old men and women inside who looked as if they met there everyday - talking loud, having their coffee & croissants and doing their crossword puzzles. I had un the au lait and a croissant - the BEST I've ever had. I think it was made of more butter than flour.

In the afternoon, I went for a self-guided walking tour of Maris & Bastille (neighborhoods). There, I saw a lot of medieval architecture. It was interesting, but I eventually gave up on the walking tour. It was too hard to try to walk and read at the same time around a lot of people. It was a good decision. I wandered around aimlessly and it was perfect. I found a busy patisserie and bought exactly what the man in front of me bought because by the time I got to the counter, I forgot the name of what I wanted. So, I asked for la meme chose, s'il vous plait, or the same thing, please. What I got was a Florentine. Wow! It had a chocolate bottom, oatmeal (?) center and almond topping sprinkled with candied pieces of fruit. I would have never picked it, but I will now have to learn to make it so I can share it with YOU :)

I walked, window shopped, wandered and eventually walked onto Ile St. Louis where I bought a cup of the famous Berthillon ice cream. I had two scoops: Almondine and Nutella. It was night by now and the lights reflecting on the Seine were beautiful and soo romantic!

Speaking of ROMANTIC, I feel this is a trip of my loving myself because of who I am, of enjoying my own company and of not needing affirmation from anyone. I have felt closer to myself and to God. I'm also falling in love with Paris. What a city!

After a day of nothing but sweets and carbs (and WALKING all day), I took a salad back to my room and tried to sleep early. HA! I went to bed at 2 am! My body clock is utterly confused!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Evelyn! I love your pictures. What a great thing that you did, touring France alone like that. I've never been to Europe, and hope to be able to do that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, This was my first trip to Europe and it was so fun! I hope you get to do something like it someday, too! I normally cannot afford such a trip, but a lot of things came together to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...