Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Another Waiting Poem


On the day I have most longed to know my children, I read the next poem in the book that is on my bedside table, What the Light Was Like. The very next poem happened to be this one:

Manna by Luci Shaw

They asked, and he brought quails,
And gave them food from heaven.
—Psalm 105:40

I'm not asking for quails for dinner
and if they flew in my window at mealtime,
in a torrent of wind, I would think
panic, not miracle.

Time is so multiple and fluid. I lose a day
flying west, and gain it back returning.
I am ravenous to know where I am today.
And who. And how am I to be fed? And if
the prayer I offered this morning at first light
was known and answered last week
am I in some horizontal pleat of time,
some rock crevice in the mountain's shoulder
with a great hand shielding me from
the tempest of too much knowledge?

You never know what a simple request
will get you. So, no expectation of birds
from heaven. Rather, I will commit myself
to this quotidian wilderness, watching for what
the wind may bring me next—
perhaps a small wafer tasting like honey
that I can pick up with my fingers
and lay on my tongue
to ease, for this day, my hunger to know.


It doesn't take away my longing to know, but helps put it in perspective, infuse it with meaning.

3 comments:

  1. That is so much more than a waiting poem.

    "panic, not miracle" - yes

    "Time is so multiple and fluid. I lose a day
    flying west, and gain it back returning." - I know...how is that...why,and isn't it a blessing,

    and,

    "So, no expectation of birds" - that is the struggle is it not.

    Those words are weighing on me today "no expectation of birds."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with filoli - so much more than a waiting poem. This is a good one to have on hand when your children are home

    Thank you for finding and posting this. I read poetry every day. It keeps me sane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the poems you have chosen to post on here. I love their (or my)application of them to the waitiing process. I love when you open a book to words that speak to you in a timely, magical way. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...