I had never heard of RIE until I went to a conference on Montessori Education two years ago. I was completely blown away by this method of caring for infants - it is so gentle and respectful of the little person you are caring for! Your Self-Confident Baby is a very easy, but full of good information book. I am going to re-read it again soon so that I can have the information fresh in my mind when I become a mom.
I read a lot of adoption books and this one is by far the best one I read. So many adoption books deal with adotpion by itself and add international adoption as an extra chapter at the end or not at all. Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child is dedicated to the challenges that my children will face not only as adoptees, but as Ethiopian adoptees living in the US. This book advocates a preemptive parenting style where we as parents help our children (and us) piece together how their past may be affecting the subtleties in their behavior. By giving voice to that past and how it affects them now, we can help our children develop more freely.
Newsflash: I am white, my children will be black. I live in an African-American community, have African-American friends, but I am not black and I need to learn more and more about what it means to be black in the U.S. I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla does of great job of helping us understand race and color from the point of view of a child.
For some humor and a "heads up" to what having a child will be like, all future parents should read Operating Instructions. This is Anne Lamott's diary of the first year after her son was born. Bill and I are reading it together (which means SLOWLY), but every time we pick it up, we have great laughs and lots to talk about.
Finally, if you don't know Eyes on Books, head on over there. Julie has done an amazing job of coming up with a great list of "must reads" in Ethiopian adoption.
Oh I have so much to read!!!! I've never gone to Eyes on Books because I'm afraid to find out how much I don't know.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this list - I guess I'll have to get started.
I wish I could get through the Cogen book. I have to say it feels like studying. I feel like I need to take notes or something. It just seems ultra-important when I am reading it. Thanks for the book recommendations.
ReplyDeleteChristine
P.S. Love how you linked up the day in photos to other's blogs. Great idea.
I'm reading I'm Chocolate You're Vanilla right now and am finding it really useful! Thanks for the other suggestions.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the suggestions! I have lots to read... And find all I really am motivated to read is Oprah and Runner's World and the Times 'cause I just read in bits and pieces. Someday... I, too, read a TON before my firstborn came alone. Great idea to do it now! You've done so many great things during your wait. I think you are ready for that referral N-O-W!!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Anne Lammot....Operating Instructions was sooo good....and nearly scared the living begeezes out of me pre-baby! :) It wasn't quite *so* bad. ;) That's only b/c it's only a distant memory now w/ a nearly 2 year old! Ha!
ReplyDeleteI have the Anne Lamott book! In fact, I think I have all her books! Love her!
ReplyDeleteHey Evelyn, thinking of you!!! My guess of April 16th is coming up. I am feeling good about my guess. I am going to look for "parenting your internationally adopted child" I haven't seen this one before. ok- you're in my thougts, take care.
ReplyDeleteLaura
Hi Evelyn! I've been meaning to get a chance to comment over here. What a wonderful blog you have and for such a wonderful reason! I"ll have to look back further at your posts to read more on your 3 continent family story, but what a lot of inspiration you have here! One thing I don't write about on my blog is our 5 year unsuccessful journey of trying to start a family. There just isn't enough bandwidth to support that emotional rollercoaster! But we have decided that we're going to adopt eventually rather than go through expensive treatments. It's really nice to hear how you write about waiting to bring your family home! It's how I feel everyday, waiting - but I comfort myself by thinking, well, one way or another, kids are coming into my life - I just have to be patient until they get here!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, nice to bloggy meet you!
-Robyn
Hi Evelyn. I haven't had the pleasure of commenting on your blog, but tonight is the night. There is a lot of dialogue "out there" about the "Chocolate" book and some of it is quite critical. I read the book and it was an interesting place to start thinking more deeply about identity in the early years. However, I think "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria" is a MUST read and is far more rich and thoughtful - it was for me, anyway. Anti Racist Parent has some interesting comments on the book here: http://www.antiracistparent.com/2009/04/01/book-review-im-chocolate-youre-vanilla/ *read the #2 comment by Jae Ran (love her!) in particular.
ReplyDeleteAwesome blog - glad to meet you!