Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Day In Photos - 3-17-09

7:10 - Up and at it! I had a terrible time sleeping last night. My back has not "reset" enough for a new day.
I came back to the room after breakfast. She has not moved. Lazy, sweet, wonderful dog!

8ish - Prayer and journaling while icing my back.


9ish - Going over to be mentored by Z :). I can see the school from my front steps.


Arrive at Ms. J's 1st grade classroom.

Ms. J and I have a serious talk about Z's progress? Nah - gossip!

Z didn't get much sleep last night, either. She is struggling :(
10:30 - I interrupt this day for a RANT! Please don't get me started on school lunches! OK, you started it! How can one little school lunch produce more trash than I do in a day? How is a first grader supposed to eat everything from chicken to tacos to soup with a PLASTIC SPORK? What kind of wasteful idiots think that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches must be made 5 states away, on thin white bread, smashed into a tiny little circle, packaged by Smuckers in a plastic bag and sent here to us (not pictured)? I guess it is a pretty high skill, pb& j! What up' with the napkin so small and thin that a child cannot even wipe their mouth with it? - Breathe, Evelyn! -
These kids inspire me. They are amazing. They are at the bottom of the heap in our "1st world" nation. This school of 270 students is a stone's throw from one of the top magnet high schools in the country. I bet not ONE of the current students will ever go there. Why? Because their school is FAILING. Ms. J is so dedicated, works like crazy ... but what is a teacher to do when 80% of her kids can't read at grade level? Arrrgh!


11ish - (Back to a normal description of my day.) Catching up on your blogs, yahoo group, e-mail, etc. Goal: get through all the junk on this desk!

Finally sending Courtney a bead!

Noon - A benefit of having Bill work so close to home - lunch together almost every day. I took too long to figure out my lunch ... who isn't crazy about some cottage cheese and leftover salad? Bill had already finished his by the time I got to the table.


12:30 - Midday prayers. I guess it's obvious I'm coming out of the religious closet here. Bill and I are both ordained ministers (Yikes! Please don't stop reading my blog :) or sensor yourself or change any opinion of me) . Our "church" is our community. We started a Community Development Corporation here 7 years ago. We try to pray at this time on weekdays for our neighborhood and our world. This week, I added all my blog friends to our prayer list. Today, we thougth something stupid was funny and ended up in fits of laughter. We could barely pray. Hey, God MUST have a sense of humor!


2:00 - Samba and I head to our favorite park. Can you smell the pluff mud below? See the little crabs running around? Samba is on a mission.



Yikes! He's a BIG one. Enlarge this pic and you will see. I estimate 10 ft. Shudder.


3:30 - Back home!

3:30 - 5:30 - Stared at computer. Must. Finish. Stinking. Paper. Due. Two. Years. Ago.


5:30 - Goofing off while waiting for J to pick me up for yoga.


8 ish - Bill made home made pizza for J and me.

9:00 - Bill cooked, so I clean.


9:30 - Started loading these pictures ... wearing my patience - I'll finish tomorrow.




10:15 - I rush to get in bed so I can read, though hopefully not as long as last night. This book does have the potential to keep me up...


Getting sleepy (thankfully)...


11:09 - Yawn... but I am beat. Enough for today!

10 comments:

  1. Love it! I can't believe you have scary alligators in your park!!! You are the kind of person I aspire to be; helping her community, thinking always of others, exercising etc etc. I think it is serendipitous that you got up at 7:11- means something good is going to happen. Your home is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this day!

    Alligators?!!!!!!!

    I agree with Julie - you ARE the person I aspire to be.

    Are the first graders already behind? Why didn't the little first grader get enough sleep? It just breaks your heart doesn't it?

    I wish you lived close by and I could work with your ministry. We are currently looking into a new spiritual home - love the old one but it's 45 min away and that is just too far for our current lifestyle. I will post about it soon.

    Your home is adorable and so are the two of you!

    Thanks so much for inspiring others to do this too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alligators? Does Samba like to chase them too?! haha I love that you and hubs pray together! I'm going to see who else participated, so much fun seeing everyone's day in photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, adorei ler sobre seu dia. Que otimo. Que pena que voce vive tao longe. Eu estou procurando um "spiritual home" tambem para mim e as criancas.

    Beijos
    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt E - We love the Alligator!! We have enjoyed telling stories about him... we would name him Monty, wish we would have been walking with you and Samba!
    Love
    B & W

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT!! Toddler drooling and crawling on computer... back tomorrow.... :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had so many things to say and then I saw the picture of THE BEAD and lost all thoughts. I hate when my brain empties of words, but I'M SO EXCITED!!!

    Thoughts that aren't self-centered... thoughts that aren't self-centered... thoughts that aren't self-centered....

    Thanks for sharing what you did about the first grade class, about their lunches, about reading below grade level. Our school is slowly making some nice gains with the food program, with the recycling program, with additional reading support programs- but it's intense! The majority of my class are second language speakers and live well below the poverty line- how I wish I had a magic wand for all of them. What I find incredible and so difficult are the stories they have to share about their lives- what home is like for them, how so many are struggling to survive (physically and emotionally). At first grade. In Colorado. NO WONDER READING IS HARD FOR THEM!!!

    As far as the park photo- WOW! I can't believe you have a park with a sign warning you about alligators. ALLIGATORS THAT ARE TEN FEET IN LENGTH.

    Thanks for sharing your day with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also? Well done on the pizza Bill! LOOKS DELICIOUS.

    And? I love your three blue pendants over your kitchen sink.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great post. There was just an article in our local paper about the horror of school lunch, and about how little $ it would cost to get the kids locally grown healthy foods. WHY doesn't this happen?! Insanity. So much of it, and injustice, everywhere.

    I can't believe you saw an alligator out and about in your everyday life! That is very cool. You guys are just so awesome. I love all the great things you are doing for your community.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your house, love your life, love your dog, love your coming out of the religious closet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...