Thursday, May 14, 2009

Expanding The BlessingWay

"A woman is like a tea-bag.
You never know how strong she is
until you put her in hot water."
- Eleanor Roosevelt


With Courtney's blessing, I decided to expand the BlessingWay in my direction. (I am hoping I am not going to be the only one). My friends, my fellow waiters, my blog buddies, you have become so much more important in my life than you know. Many of the people that I physically know have been unsure of how to stay in this wait with me - they don't have the familiar growing belly and other signs of new life emerging, they don't know what to say or do, they can't believe it hasn't happened yet, they can't help me envision this process, this way. I don't blame them. This journey is different. I would have been extremely lonely and sad on this different journey if it weren't for YOU. YOU have become my friend, my sister, my support on this long road that is still winding. I never dreamed when I started this blog, that I would meet such amazing women who live so far away from me, yet whose kind words on a computer screen literally keep me going day to day as I wait and wait. You, too, wait and wait. It is so many other things, but the wait bonds us - in both the pain and the joy of it.

So I have already cried on your shoulders, received your hugs and shared your tears without ever touching you. It is so crazy, really! I thank Courtney so much for dreaming up the BlessingWay, for paying attention, for realizing that as much as the internet has helped us find one another and bind to one another, there is something very powerful about physical touch, something mystical behind a small object sent with so much love.

So, with humility and a bit of shyness, I ask you for a physical connection with you and hope you will in turn ask for one, too! Will you join the BlessingWay? Thankfully, the way has been paved, here are the directions according to the mother of the BlessingWay:

If you would like to participate, please pick a bead from a local store or, if you have limited choices, go online to find something that touches you (www.artbeads.com). Before sending it to me, write down a poem, story or wish to accompany the bead. Make sure to use a padded evelope (or your bead will be put through the wringer at the Post Office). Once received, I will place the bead on a strand. Eventually I will seal the strand and the beads can then be wrapped around my wrist or my neck.


You can send these to: Evelyn; c/o Metanoia; 2005 Reynolds Avenue; N. Charleston, SC 29405

Can't you just see us all, together one day, wearing our BlessingWay necklaces while our beautiful children play? I do have a little hope left :) I will end with the quote from Courtney's blog:

"We are sisters on a journey,
Shining in the sun.
Shining through the darkest night.
The healing has begun, begun...
The healing has begun."

- Co. Midwives Association


**** I realize I have two projects going and that a couple of you have already given me something for the Mosaic for my kids. Please do not feel you have to send me a ton of stuff! I will bring up the mosaic project on a much later blog post, when the kids are here and thriving and ready to do the project with me.

10 comments:

  1. I will send you a bead, of course! And I will join you soon in the blessingway bead movement. I already have a p.o. box set up. I'm still struggling with whether or not to set up a different blog.....before I start the beads and quilt squares. I haven't forgotten about your mosaic, such a great idea. Next week I will have two very cute children here a lot (they were adopted from Russia) and they are wonderful artists and will help me with a few projects including yours.

    Christine

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so nice!! I'm so glad you mentioned the mosaic, too. I'm going to get you something soon, mujer, such awesome ideas. Francisca loves beads, especially, and she can help me choose (or maybe sent one of her own.) I, too, can hardly believe how much support and just plain peaceful contentment my internet friends bring. I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will gladly send you a bead, I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's coming your way.

    Wow, Evelyn. The words you used. Incredible. Also? WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT. If I could, I would envelope you in a huge embrace and probably hold on longer than you would be comfortable with. Because I'm that grateful to you.

    By the way- I linked this post on my blog. Let me know if you would prefer I not and I'll take it down....

    Big Brazilian smooches your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evelyn, I am in love with the BlessingWay idea. This is my first time to your blog, but I will be back! My hubby and I are almost on the waitlist for a baby girl from Ethiopia.

    Sending you some bead love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Evelyn!

    I'm a new reader, but I would love to send you a bead! My husband and I are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia too! Thanks so much for sharing your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another package of blessing is coming your way!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...