Yes, K will be getting cochlear implants on July 7. A 5 hour surgery. Both ears. Yikes. Gulp. Yes. Let's go. For those of you not familiar with cochlear implants, here is what they look like:
The first picture (all pictures swiped from interwebs) shows the actual device K will get, the Cochlear Nucleus 5, though his will be beautiful brown to match his skin and the transmitter will be black to blend in with his hair. He will either wear it like the second picture (with the heavy battery pack attached to his clothes) or like the third picture (though I don't know how large this child is, so the ear pieces may just be too big on little K.
Click here to see how cochlear implants work. It is pretty wild, actually. As you can see, it is not a matter of just wearing this funky head gear. They are called implants for a reason. There are delicate parts inserted into the cochlea, as well as a magnet inserted under your scalp (I always what those little round things were and how they stuck on the back of people's heads). I cannot believe technology is able to do all of that. I cannot express how thankful I am to people who have worked to make it possible for a deaf child to hear. For MY child to hear.
After surgery, K has to be "turned off" for 2-3 weeks until all the swelling is down. Then we turn the implants on and a new world begins...



I'll be thinking of you! Lots to learn.
ReplyDeleteModern medicine is amazing and I too appreciate the genius, creativity and stick-to-itiveness of all those smarties! I'll be thinking of your family as you embark on this new adventure. I can't wait to hear how K's world changes once those puppies are switched 'on.'
ReplyDeleteWow, what a process! But also what huge opportunities it brings. I'll be thinking about all of you...
ReplyDeleteI hope the surgery goes magically and everything is a GO for your boy to hear. :) Keep us updated, please!!
ReplyDeleteWow! Amazing. His world is opening thanks to you guys.
ReplyDeleteTruly. Incredible. I cannot wait to hear about how his world is going to open up!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this info - I know the words cochlear implants, but I didn't know what they looked like. Now I feel a bit less ignorant. I can't imagine what your learning curve must be like at the moment.
I've been utterly stinky at posting comments lately - I'm really sorry.
As always, I carry him in a special place in my heart. Love all of you!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited to hear that you decided to go this route. Cochlear Implants are amazing!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
So amazing and exciting. How wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHope all goes well with the surgery and beyond!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Hope surgery and recovery go smoothly!
ReplyDelete~Anne
wow! thats amazing! I can't wait to see how his world shifts when he is turned "on". Lot of love an strength for the surgery and prayers that healing is swift!
ReplyDeleteFear, excitement, worry, excitement, fear, excitement, hope, anticipation, fear, excitement, worry, excitement ... on balance, I'm excited.
ReplyDelete1. Sorry to be such a crappy blogfriend. 2. Oh My Goodness. Sound to digital info to electric impulses? This stuff is so amazing; I had no idea that this is what cochlear implants are/do. I will be thinking of you (which I often am, even if I suck at showing it) from July 7 to August 7 because I imagine that seeing your baby (and rest of your family) go through this procedure and process will be really hard. But really worth it.
ReplyDeleteAmazing, amazing technology.....I can imagine how anxious and naseous the thought of K going through this surgery is making you..... thinking of you.
ReplyDelete