I used to be so ridiculously spontaneous. Marriage to a much more grounded person (which I desperately needed) and now children have seriously dampened that. So much so that I actually feel funny being spontaneous. Friday at lunch, I decided to go visit my mom for the weekend since Bill had to work on Saturday. My mom only lives 3 hours away, but I had never been on a car trip alone with the boys, our car needs a tune-up pronto, I was planning on a very calm, laid-back weekend and I would have to pack and leave in a few hours. Assured that I did, indeed, need to get back on the spontaneous train, and that I had friends that live all along the 3 hour drive, I decided to go for it.
Ended up having a wonderful family weekend. Seeing the boys become more comfortable with other family members and playing with them (remember my mom adopted 5 kids a couple of years ago) made it so worth it. It was also fun to think back to weekends past at my mom's while experiencing weekend present, all on the very same spot (who looks cuter on their back on the floor?):
K looks very babyish in this video ... don't worry - he has become very mobile and quick, but had never done this particular form of scooting before. Surely it is a developmental milestone? :) Now walking is a whole other story:
And the car? No problems on the way up, but halfway back, in 94 degree weather, the AC quit. We pulled into a rest area (complete with mommy peeing sideways on the toilet with a double jogging stroller in a small bathroom stall because big boy slept through it ALL), I stripped the boys and we rode the rest of the way home with the windows down, my favorite playlist blasting, big brother sleeping, little brother's hearing aids turned OFF for his sake, while sweating buckets and dressed like this:
Oh, and forgive me for the lack of blogging. Three Continent Family life has actually been amazing lately. I am starting to love motherhood and we have been really busy! In a month, K gets bilateral cochlear implants. Gulp. I am looking forward to life after July 7th, but dreading that day like the plague. For those of you who wrote and called, thanks so much for reminding me that this is a real community, not just a bloglandia one. I needed that extra love - I admit to feeling quite bummed that I haven't gotten a chance to meet most of you in person and hoping our blog relationships will last long enough until we do.
Oh, I hope we do get to meet one day! I have been thinking of you often. July 7th, huh? Well, I don't blame you in the least for your dread. You are a brave mama and what a wonder it will be for him to hear, Evelyn. I love him scooting on the floor, adorable!! I am glad you are enjoying motherhood these days. Take care!
ReplyDeleteI love it. YOu make due. When the going gets hot, the clothes come off!
ReplyDeleteFunny that you should mention meeting in person just now. I may be going with my bestie to visit her dad in Columbia next month. Since J has never seen the ocean I thought I might swing over Charleston way for a day or so. Let me know what you think about meeting up for lunch or something. Not sure if the trip is actually going to happen but I'd love to see you if it does...
ReplyDeleteSpontaneous with kids is a whole diferent story huh? Harder.. but so much more fun!
ReplyDeleteAhhh Lil A looks so hot in the car. ;-) What a trooper.
ReplyDeleteOh, Evelyn, so good to hear from you! I've been thinking of you, thanks for still stopping over on my blog. So glad things are going well for you, and that you had a nice weekend. You have this momma stuff down!! :)
ReplyDeleteLook at him go! And did I barely hear his little voice? So quiet! And how he notices all the sounds going on near by! What changes and growth!
ReplyDeleteAdorable! So glad to hear you are settling in able to really enjoy being a mom! Your boys look amazing and I am sure each day is an adventure! I love the idea of blog friends meeting; if you are ever in Chicago... =)
ReplyDeleteLove it! You sound like yourself again!
ReplyDeleteI will be thinking of you before, during and after July 7th. As always, your posts give me hope for my own future. So glad to hear you are enjoying motherhood! And if you are ever in the NYC area please do give me a shout!!! I would love to meet you in person!!!!
ReplyDelete