Monday, August 30, 2010

Beaming

A's First Day of School
I cannot express how proud I am of this little guy right here.  Today was his first day of pre-school.  Whereas last year, he went to school for the last two months (only 9 times since it was only twice a week) and pitched a fit every single day when we dropped him off, today, he was a champ.

I dropped him off at the local, public Montessori school he got into (thanks to someone who had a soft heart for adoption) and  I stayed with him for about an hour.  At first, while kids were coming in and eating breakfast, he was sucking his thumb and was completely unresponsive.  Kibru would have interpreted what I was thinking:  "Oh, oh!"  By circle time, I convinced him to sit down on the carpet and we watched the other new 3 year old children straggle in (the 4 & 5 year olds in the class have been in school for about two weeks already).  He settled down a bit and got focused on trying to cross his legs criss-cross-applesauce while wearing his big new tennis shoes.  It was clearly a challenge, but it kept him busy.

The teacher called the roll and the students were to respond, "Good morning, everyone, I love you."  She called on A and he said, "Hi!"  I didn't expect him to speak, so the beaming began.  Then they sang the song:

Where is -----------?
Where is ---------?
Here I am, here I am!
How are you today, sir(maam)?
Very fine, I thank you.
We're happy you're here.
We're happy you're here.

A was about the 5th kid in the circle and when "Where is A?" began, he stood up and sang, "Here I am!  Here I am!"  My jaw dropped!  My boy!  I was so happy, beaming so much.  I had no idea how it felt to be just so stinking proud of your child.  He surprised the heck out of me!

Next, the teacher started calling kids one by one to go and work individually.  A turned to me and asked, "Me turn?"  He was ready for the day.  Soon he was busy enough that I just gave him a kiss and waved.  He was perfectly fine.  And I took my beaming self on home, perfectly fine as well.

20 comments:

  1. Way to go, A!! Here's wishing you a fabulous school year. Welcome to a lifetime of learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for A! He looks like such a grown-up little man in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like a mommy payday! All of his and your hard work and then one day you have a moment like that. Lovely!

    His smile in this photo is divine and contagious. I am smiling as I write this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome Evelyn! So proud for you and glad Agegnu had a wonderful first day! Noah is loving school as well, but he's already an old pro at the school thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO wonderful! I'm proud of him, too and I'm not even his mom! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Awwwww, he is so precious! I am as proud as you are, and also proud of YOU! You and Bill have helped him get to this point. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable picture!! And thanks for the detailed description of his school day; I could just see it! So glad he's off and running!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome is that! He's so handsome and proud looking. I look at your boys and it helps me imagine how Dawit will grow up. Boys are so incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, I would be so proud, too. I love this photo....such a big boy now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So adorable! Glad things worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Evelyn, reading this gave me goosebumps and teared me up with pride for you and your boy. How far that beautiful boy has come. This is exactly how I wanted to end my day. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy happy, joy joy! ...and, what a great pic, he is actually beaming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so sweet! Look at the little happy face. So glad he is off to a great start. It sounds like he is ready. And those are some NICE tennis the boy has. :) Isn't it just thrilling to see your child interacting in a group setting? It has always brought tears to my eyes, to see any little thing they do at all in a large group at preschool or school.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beauty! Happy, happy day to you all!........Eugenie in Westerly, RI

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this made my heart skip about five beats entirely, just so awesome, so awesome. Loved reading this.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...