Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Little Moments

A and I went to church together this week.  I enjoy sitting next to him, watching him play with all the little distractions I put in his backpack, seeing him interact with other people and sharing his love of music. Halfway through the service, we could hear the downpour on the historic round roof of the church.  It was majestic - sun shinning through the simple stained glass windows and rain beating over us.  I had no umbrella, of course, and the rain did not seem to want to stop that day.  Both A and I were wearing our nicest, newest sandals.  And when it rains here, there is always some flooding - water laps from the streets onto the sidewalks in waves.  We had a car to get to.  What were we to do?  We took off our shoes (A was very skeptical about this) and started running.  We found a temporary stopping place and I could tell A was very nervous.  I showed him the next spot we needed to run to and we took off.  By our next spot of shelter, he was giggling.  We got our nerve up and finally make it to the car.  Once inside, we were both completely soaked and out of breath from running and laughing.  A memory all our own.

Yesterday, A went to bed way past his bedtime.  K was already asleep.  Instead of having Bill read him stories in their room, as usual, I got to read to him snuggled up on the couch.  We read a few books, including this gem of a book K (amazing, huh?) randomly pulled off the shelf at the library:


Such a sweet book!  I had not seen it before.  It shows all different types of mommies/daddies and kiddies and talks about what they have in common:  I don't have your eyes ... but I have your way of looking at things.  Midway through the book, after we had talked about our differences and similarities, A wrapped his arms around me and said I love you, mommy.  It was so uncharacteristic of him and so incredibly sweet.  He did it again as we brushed our teeth together.  

Today, for our very sore throats, I made a pot of chamomile tea.  Sharing a cup of tea is one of the things I like to do with some pretty special people in my life.  Time stops.  We sip tea and enjoy one another's company.  Fitting.  A loved these little cafezinho cups from Brazil and we drank cup after cup, just the two of us.


He can be such a tender boy.  It is so hard to give him the attention he needs when little K's needs seem so immediate.  But a little attention goes a long way for him.  And for me.

13 comments:

  1. sniffle sniffle. Special moments! I always find that kids do not seem to mind the rain at all! In fact being outside in it seems to evoke some serious belly laughter! Huggs to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That post was a little attention to the reader's soul. Just beautiful, really. Gorgeous. Heart grabbing. Thank you for sharing those special moments with us, Evelyn.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! He is precious - I'm so glad you were able to share those moments together. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have goosebumps! Such a beautiful child. Such a beautiful mama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big heart swell. Beautiful memories. All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All those little moments add up and are so, so meaningful to A and you! Thanks for sharing this really sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to come to your house and have tea! You are in such a groove with those adorable boys even with the health stuff...so awesome to see! Hope all your throats are better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Evelyn, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally sniffling here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this, Evelyn! What a special time with your special boy. (And I'm definitely going to look into that book - sounds wonderful!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwww...that's what its all about. I'm sighing with such loveliness on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that really is so sweet. Preschool age is just precious. Treasure it, as you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I love him, your precious boy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...