Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent and Me

During Lent, I have chosen to temporarily shut down my Facebook account and to stop taking naps M-F.  As much as I love being in touch with people I love through Facebook, I need some time to let it take a backseat.  It is too easy for me to check my computer every time I pass by it, picking up a conversation here, "liking" something there, sharing some random tid-bit.  Being that I am home most of the day, that is a lot of checking FB!  I feel this crazy pull towards my computer even if I was on my way to do something else, perhaps something I needed to do and I get sucked up for 5, 10, 60 minutes at a time.  My brain has enough distractions as it is.  I want some uninterrupted time, even if it is just to go to the dryer, get clothes out, walk to the back of the house and fold them without several computer breaks.

I miss this blog and my faithful journal (yup, after more than 2 years, I still haven't filled it up).   There is something about writing a blog or a journal entry that takes more intentionality, more reflection, however mundane the topic, than a status update on FB (for me).   I am desperately craving depth and cancelling my FB account was one way for me to make room for some changes.

I confess that I miss FB already!  Today has been really hard!  Several times I've come to my computer and checked my e-mail (remember that?).  Hahaha.  I never get anything there anymore!  I had to delete my FB shortcut because I'd click on it without even thinking ... and then a screen appears with my login and password.  All I'd have to do is click ENTER and I'd be in.  I will enter again.  I love my FB peeps too much not to.  But right now, my mind and soul are what need entering, lingering, checking.

About naps...  Why on earth would a tired mom give up naps?  I am still wondering this myself, but it came to me clear as day at an Ash Wednesday service tonight.  Here is why I am nixing napping (M-F).  My mornings are filled with either getting Boo-boo to school (twice a week), running errands, taking him to speech therapy and trying to get some work done.  We (Boo-boo, Bill and I) meet up around noon for lunch together at home.  Then Bill is off to work and Boo-boo is down for his crib sing-a-long (he doesn't sleep but is happy singing at the top of his lungs for an hour).  I do some last minute straightening up and then I nap.  But I just about always wake up a complete crank.  I scoop Boo-boo up in a groggy mood and we pick up Scootle-doot at about 2:15.  I am pretty much a grump for the rest of the day until they go to bed at 7.  SOOOOO, I will experiment using that nap time to do some other type of restorative activity, since napping is counter-productive.  Maybe that will be the time I can finally spend with my journal, since it is often my only hour alone.

So there you have it, whether you wanted to read this or not, you made it here.   I think I'll be blogging a lot more... about whatever is on my mind.  Don't say I didn't warn you.  

And I want to end with a shout-out to my FB peeps!  (Who probably won't even know I have new blog posts because FB won't tell them!)  I miss you!

14 comments:

  1. I had to delete it from my phone! I appreciate the motivation you gave me to step away as well. This will be a great break! I look forward to keeping up with you on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be such I smarty pants! Of course, I checked here! Once again you are an inspiration. Naps often do that to me also. I want to figure out a way to observe lent but haven't yet. You've got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if I don't get you on fb at least I get you here..and you'll be writing more, YAY!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll know too:) Love this. Naps are the same for me. Maybe meditation instead? My sil sent me this great video with bells and stuff. I'll send it to you. Delete it if you don't need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bek, funny you mentioned meditation because that is exactly what I'm going to do! I've missed that daily practice since the boys have been home and I desperately need it. I don't usually think of after lunch as an optimal time for that, but nowadays, there is no such thing as optimal time! I would love to see the video you mentioned. I love bells.

      Delete
  5. Personally, I'm glad you'll be blogging more! Call me selfish, but I'm going to make the most of you being here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, one of the things I really look forward to doing is finally catching up on your blog! xoxo

      Delete
    2. ummmmm... E.... I don't want to lead you astray, but.... you might want to check FB this morning. Just sayin'.

      Delete
    3. I know! This is really HARD! I have received an e-mail with photos of a very dashingly beautiful 9 mo old boy if that is what you refer to. Any other news I am missing?????

      Delete
  6. I'll know! I completely understand and wish I had your strenght to resist the tractor beam that sucks me in to my computer. Constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you and miss you. BIG time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss you also. I admire your strength, I really need to do the same with FB again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh boy. good for you! i haven't commented here before, i just want to say that i admire your fortitude. i am amazed at how many hours of my life are consumed with meaningless "social networking" when i could be working on more meaningful pursuits. good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...