Sunday, October 07, 2012
Sometimes, You Have to Get Down (Follow-up)
If my Sometimes, You Have to Get Down post resonated with you and if you have 20 minutes, this is really worth watching. Brene Brown is a researcher who has studied vulnerability and also struggled with the implications she found in her research. She is a great story-teller. One of the gems I take away from this talk is that we cannot selectively numb emotion. When I eat or nap or watch a rom-com in order to numb the pain in my life, I also numb joy, gratitude, love and other positive emotions. That describes the last few years of my life with crazy precision. Makes me sad.
Another gem: Wholehearted people are willing to let go of who they thought they should be in order to be themselves. I probably need to get off this computer and just go journal for a couple of hours about this one. I remember being in grad school about a decade ago and having a very strong picture of who I was going to be in the world. In short, it involved being a "strong woman" (whatever hell that meant to an inexperienced 26 year old), with a world-saving career (never really thought about how children would fit into that picture), with amazing depth and spirituality, in an awesome marriage (again, what the h*** does a 26 year old single woman know about that?) and with a gorgeous body (!!!). A decade later, I am realizing just how short I fall from being that super-woman. I was on the superwoman trajectory for a while, but my picture was falling apart at the edges. Then came two boys, who spilled stuff on that fraying picture right from the start. It was unrecognizable at about day two of being a parent. I was never going to be that picture. What I am is imperfect me. If I could only convince myself that that is enough.
Labels:
Confessions,
Motherhood,
Soul Searching
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Didn't Kristine send that to us? One of the best things I've ever seen. Seriously. I feel you, mama.
ReplyDeleteDid she? If so, I clearly did not watch it! I got the link from my therapist! Miss you, Julia!
DeleteYes Kristine did send it to us...I've watched it a million times.
ReplyDeleteDang it! And here I thought I was getting an opportunity to enlighten! That Kristine!!!!
DeleteAnd I love the imperfect you.
ReplyDeleteRight back at you, dear Sue!!!
DeleteI TOTALLY resonate with your description of your perception of who you were supposed to be. Funny how motherhood squeezes and smushes and stands our understanding of "world-saving" on its head....Probably not a bad thing, but painful none the less....
ReplyDeleteBut I am glad our paths crossed and thankful for your willingness to be vulnerable and let us peak into your life. It all looks authentically beautiful from my vantage point!
I have watched this so many many times, she's wonderful and there is so much wisdom, but Evelyn, you are on her level or perhaps one rung up. You are so wise and so open and so willing to share! I've learned so much from you. You are all that your boys need and more! I love you sweet woman. If I could give you anything at all I would give you the ability to see yourself the way that I see you.
ReplyDeletexo
Thank you, kn. I am working hard at this. Thanks for the encouragement. Love to you!
DeleteThe good thing is that we are always changing. And so does perfection. And imperfection. Nothing stays the same. We are completely fluid beings.
ReplyDeleteEvelyn, I feel so much of what you are writing. You ARE enough, however different you have turned out from your vision. Call me sometime, if you still have my number! Going to watch the video now.
ReplyDelete