Fekadu and Hirut were our guests today. We learned a little more about Ethiopia and about them. It was such an honor for us to have someone from Ethiopia in our home! They were so gracious with us, telling us about what we should see in Ethiopia and helping us pronounce the two or three words we know in Amharic. They were excited about our upcoming adoption.
I met Fekadu one Sunday morning when things weren't going as I planned. Bill and I had gone to church at 9:30 only to find out that my favorite part, Sunday School, was canceled. I had been feeling down about church and this really upset me that morning. I told Bill I would be back for the 11 o'clock worship service and left. I didn't want to go home because I had just spent time getting ready to LEAVE the house. I decided to drive around and see who was getting out of their cars at various churches. I wanted to find some hope that somewhere in this town people of different backgrounds and colors were worshipping together.
I ended up driving by an Orthodox church. Their service was starting at 10 o'clock. I decided to go and check it out. The church was incredibly small and welcoming. I was talking to the priest when out of the corner of my eye, I saw Fekadu and another person whom I recognized to be Ethiopian immediately. My heart started beating fast and I really didn't hear anything else the priest said. I had been looking for Ethiopian people in Charleston with no luck! The priest introduced me to Fekadu and I stayed for the service. 11 o'clock went by and I knew I was supposed to meet Bill, but I couldn't leave without some way to contact Fekadu again.
I figured Bill would understand and I stayed until the end. The service was wonderful - it really touched all of the senses and had a sense of the holy that I don't experience in our Baptist church.
I got to talk to Fekadu and he was so personable, so willing to teach me more about Ethiopia. My bad morning ended up being a great one. I even saw again the PA from my dermatologist's office whom I met long ago. She had been so friendly to me at a time where I had no friends in Charleston. I had always hoped to see her again someday.
Having Fekadu and his wife here at our home was in his words, a blessing. I am amazed that he finds knowing us beneficial. I have finally found a key to my children's culture right here in Charleston, SC!
No comments:
Post a Comment