
Since I am always swapping book recommendations with most of you, I thought this blog would be an easy way to post the books I'm reading (so be on alert for next year's recommendations: Hop on Bop, Goodnight Moon, Curious George, The Hungry Caterpillar and more).
Today's recommendation: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. Through this book, I stepped into the life of women in 19th century China. I was horrified/intrigued by the footbinding tradition... I never realized exactly what it entailed - did you know all of a little girl's toes (except her big toes) are broken to sit under the foot??! There were plenty of cultural/historical things to learn in the form I love best- through story.
What I enjoyed the most about the book was the life long friendship between these two women. It helped me to understand my friendships right now. As most of my friends are now new mothers, we suddenly have such little contact with each other! This book gave the perspective of friendship through a lifetime.
Today's recommendation: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. Through this book, I stepped into the life of women in 19th century China. I was horrified/intrigued by the footbinding tradition... I never realized exactly what it entailed - did you know all of a little girl's toes (except her big toes) are broken to sit under the foot??! There were plenty of cultural/historical things to learn in the form I love best- through story.
What I enjoyed the most about the book was the life long friendship between these two women. It helped me to understand my friendships right now. As most of my friends are now new mothers, we suddenly have such little contact with each other! This book gave the perspective of friendship through a lifetime.
No comments:
Post a Comment