Okay, I made my blog public (at least temporarily), so you don't need a password to log in. People have had trouble accessing for various reasons, so I thought I'd try to go PUBLIC. I did go back and edit by putting initials instead of names of people whose permissions I did not ask to blog about and will probably continue to do that just to keep myself out of trouble. (Though I did just blow Samba's, I mean S's cover with the above picture!)
I'm still not sure about this public thing, but would love input from my faithful little band of readers, especially if you blog publicly.... do you recommend it? have you had anything creepy happen because of it? thoughts? Please comment :)
If one day you need a password again, your old one should work. Meanwhile, I just wanted to see if this was easier.
I'd imagine internet creeps are more interested in the myspace/facebook public EVERYTHING generation than my sweet wonderful social justice loving sister.
ReplyDeleteIncidently, I just deleted both my Myspace and Facebook accounts. Not because of public vulnerability, but because they are really strange diversions...felt like a mouse hitting the button for food over and over again...for the moment i'd like to seek my social fulfillment in the real world...and limit my online communications to people I really love. (though once my website is up, i'll start blogging again...only more about myself as an artist.)
That is such a cute picture! Glad you are public. One less step to take to visit you! Nope, never had anything creepy happen, although knowing my mom or even my employer could read it does make me think a bit before baring my soul. :)
ReplyDeleteOscar, you are so sweet. I can't wait to read YOUR blog. You have a wonderful mind!
ReplyDeleteStacy - glad it's easier for you. I sure enjoy reading your blog. Like my cousin just said to me in an e-mail, "it is a nice stand in for being able to sit down for a cup of tea with you, or go for a walk together."
I think it is funny that for Oscar's generation (he's much younger than I) facebook/myspace actually keeps them from true community, but with us busy moms (and moms to be) it gives us a chance at community during our down time, even if mine is different from yours :)
I've often thought about setting my blog to private. I haven't though, and probably won't. I've never had anything creepy happen. I just make sure to be careful about what I'm blogging about. Stacy's right. It helps when writing to think about someone like an employer reading!
ReplyDeleteI've always been public and as you know, I use first names of family members. I just keep my last name and personal details (address, phone number, etc.) off my blog. I haven't had any problems in the two years I've been publicly blogging.
ReplyDeleteMine is about a year old and public. I used to write a little bit about U.S. military and economic policy in the horn of Africa, and about human rights in Ethiopia. A few Eritrean and Ethiopian commenters blasted my ignorance, which I thought was great. Then the whole Embassy allegedly reading blogs thing happened and I've kept it non-political since. No creeps to report. One or two spam comments, but that's it.
ReplyDelete