Monday, August 31, 2009

In-Between


"The transition zones in our lives are incredibly rich places. They should be honored, even savored. Yes, with all the pain and fear and feelings of being out-of-control that can (but not necessarily) accompany transitions, they are still the most alive, most growth-filled, passionate, expansive moments in our lives." (Patti Digh)

I've been reading this book by Patti Digh. Her essay about transitions, "Let Go of the Monkey Bars," was so descriptive of this in-between time I am in that I thought I'd share it with you, in case you happen to be in a state of transition, too.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you keep posting reading suggestions. I don't love that I can't just surrender to them and absorb. But being back in school isn't too bad when I'm taking an Ethiopian History class and Amharic!!! It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when people post about their favorite reading. This looks great. I wish there was a netflix version of books. My library doesn't carry every single book I want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard good things about that book. I'll have to check it out. My hubby and I are starting the adoption process, and I was so happy to find your blog. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, yes, that was a great essay! Thanks so much for sharing it!!

    If you get a moment, would you mind emailing me your snail mail address to carolinemcharles@gmail.com? I've got something I'd like to send you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Evelyn, i just got your comment on mayasmercato.com, thanks for that! its cool we read the same sorts of books. i meant to mention to you that i love julia allende (is that her name?)..house of spirits etc? i love latin american writing, ggm is a giant! and louis de bernier is brilliant...they are so visual and mystical. of course, now i'm on an african tangent. right now i'm on the 3rd ladies detective book (total fluff but nice for inbetween other books) and despereaux, the kid's book. i think i'm going scottish with my next book...robroy by sir walter scott..aye! watch out once kids come along, you'll be going to bed 5 mins after them to collapse, not read!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...