The next part of the story is no fairy tale, but it is important in its own way. This is hard for me to write, but I think it might be helpful for some of those who are waiting, or who have had a similar experience in their referral. Seeing a picture of the boys sends me into scared shock. I am disappointed. I am disappointed that we didn’t get a little girl. I am disappointed that A is at the oldest end of our age request. I am disappointed that I had not been clairvoyant enough to envision these boys. I am upset at being disappointed. Bill and I debrief a bit and read all of the information we have on the boys. Bill heads back to work. I shower, go the drugstore and go mentor at the school. I do it all in a complete daze. I finally come home later in the afternoon and cry on and off for the next 24 hours. Bill and I go to a movie that night, exhausted and unable to take in all that has happened.
That night, I go to sleep crying and wake up crying the next day. I am afraid of so many things- afraid to accept the referral, afraid to reject the referral, afraid to parent two boys, afraid to say goodbye to the little girl I envisioned and most of all, afraid to wound my husband with the way I was acting! Though he was ready to accept the referral early on, he was on complete standby during my emotional roller coaster. Saturday was a hard day!
We still had told no one about what had happened. We didn’t want to tell until we officially accepted the referral. To officially accept, I had to get with the program and we were waiting on the medical report from the international adoption clinic. I felt I had to talk to someone, someone who would not judge me at this vulnerable moment, someone who could help me sort this stuff out, someone who was not Bill. We agreed for me to call my mom. Sworn to secrecy, she listened. The first thing she said was how wonderful boys are. I have two sets of brothers – two in the US from my mom (I am 7 & 8 years older) and two from Brazil from my dad (I am 12 & 16 years older). She thought her boys were so sweet, caring and fun. She helped me climb down that ladder of fear a few rungs.
Why this fear of boys? I had been the only girl growing up and since then I have formed very strong bonds with women of all ages. Though a complete and utter tomboy growing up, I have become a girly-girl woman who loves tea parties, pretty stationary, baking, frilly PJ’s, books by and about women, sewing, crafts, etc. In the leadership development programs I ran, little girls attached to me in a way that boys never did. The boys in our community have been mostly raised by single mothers or grandmothers with multiple factors working against them and extremely few, if any positive male role models in their lives. They are pretty wounded and carry around hard shells of what they think being a man means. Deep down they are lovable, but I must admit they are harder to connect with, for the most part.
But these aren't my boys. They are going to have a wonderful father! My mom was able to make calm down and think from a better place. Bill gave me a lot of grace, too. He reminded me that I created a vision of what our family would look like as a means to survive and keep hope for the last 25 months. I was convinced we would have a boy and a girl and that they would either be twins or at the youngest end of our age request. But that was not reality. Reality took me by surprise.
That night, I go to sleep a little more peacefully, a little less hard on myself, but am still completely and utterly overwhelmed.
Thanks for being brave enough to write this...I have to admit that I chickened out a little when it came to revealing some of my emotions about my referral. For example, I was actually surprised about having a girl! I had been picturing a boy for most of the wait, so when Emily said it was a girl, I almost asked her if she was sure! It also wasn't love at first sight for me when I saw her picture...I thought that's what I was supposed to feel, but I have really had to look at her picture day in and day out to start to feel some attachment to her.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had someone you could talk to about it and were able to accept the referral in all ways.
i hope it's not bad that this makes me smile. oh, you are in for such love. and it's special from a boy. having one i can only say i want more. the sensitivity, the sweetness, the kindness. i do think boys are hurt more easily and build up walls faster if they don't receive the proper support. quinn just started crying in madagascar 2.
ReplyDeleteyou are in for such happiness. you will wonder years from now what it was you were feeling. i know because i was there 7 years ago now.
i am smiling as i write this. perhaps you were given two boys because you were meant for that much love, that much energy, that much sweetness. and in boys, just my opinion of course, the sweetness, it doesn't grow up so soon, you have the greenness of it much longer than girls.
the age difference you may find you like too. i know it's my preference. i like each to be able to really and truly have their own time with you.
your honest is a treasure.
Wow, Evelyn. You are so brave to share this. When we were on the sibling list we envisioned an older boy and a younger girl and it was hard to think of anything else. An image just gets stuck in your head and really you have no idea who is out there for you. I'm glad you have such a good support network of family. My 2 boys are so amazing and thoughtful. I can honestly say that boys have a very special relationship with their mothers. Girls can be very tough on their moms. You will have so much fun with your boys!
ReplyDeleteI was so excited when I read that your oldest is 33 months old. My daughter is 3 and half right now and 3 yrs old (which your oldest son is approaching) is SUCH a fun age! And it's not just b/c she is a girl...the boys that are her age in her montessori class are amazing. I wish I could take them all home. Here are some things that a 3 yr old can or wants to do that they didn't prior to this age: watch Disney movies all the way through and act them out (especially Peter Pan)...go to theme parks and ride the kiddy roller coasters and water rides and smile they laugh the entire time b/c it is THAT much fun to them...show an intense interest in books and learning about everything from stars to types of bugs to different types of clouds...cheering on a team at a live game...I could go on and on. It's fabulous. You are going to love it! Congratulations on your referrals!
ReplyDeleteWhen my first came to our family, and he was a boy, like you, I was shocked. I always pictured myself as the Mother to a daughter. I had no idea how to be a Mother to a son. Actually, I had no idea how to be a Mother.
ReplyDeleteTogether we learned.
My son will always be so very special to me because he taught me how to be a Mother. He made me abandon all my preconceived notions of Motherhood and together we learned how to make it work.
I love your post. You will be a fantastic Mom. Your boys will show you how. Believe.
Leigh
Evelyn, you are honest and good and loved. You will be an amazing Mom to two little boys.
ReplyDeleteThis was great, even though I am no longer waiting... I didn't write about what happened at the very moment we got our referral - am saving that for the ringer book up in my plans - but really...I didn't write about it too because I was sort of catatonic during the exchange, trying to remember to utter my many questions, I had been traveling for work, was nursing a headache and was also in shock. It moreover wasn't really a very flowery, fall face flat down on the concrete and immediately begin swooning as I part with all air in my lungs moment. It was bizarre and surreal and also difficult in some ways.
It wasn't until the day after that I truly felt as if I were in one piece enough to be infatuated with our son's likeness and to let my heart soar.
Thank you for your guts and words.
Cindy
It's gutsy but hard to share your own pain so that others can benefit. Thanks for doing your part to get rid of those fairy tale ideas we might all have about referrals. I say that, but then again, pain and all, your referral has been pretty magical, hasn't it?
ReplyDeleteTune in tomorrow for the magic.... :)
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate you sharing your very personal thoughts on this experience. I imagine we all - like your husband said - come up with visions of what we are expecting to help us cope with the wait. And you certainly have had lots of coping to do. I bet a lot of people feel and react as you did - in a way that wasn't quite the over-the-moon, everything-is-perfect way that we somehow expect receiving our referrals should be. As someone who's not even yet officially to the wait, I appreciate your candor. I know you will love those boys more than you ever thought humanly possible!
ReplyDeleteTwo baby boys!! Wonderful!! (And three is still a baby in many ways.) Boys and their mommies truly share a very special bond! They will adore you and you will see what a blessing boys are!! They are energetic and boisterous and loud and joyful and perfect. And brothers stay lifelong buddies!! Congrats on your wonderful news!
ReplyDelete(Of course, I am not meaning to imply anything negative about girls... :))
I love the honesty so much, that in itself makes me such a huge fan of your family. I am wondering if being surrounded by all these boys and Bill, you will just feel that more feminine and girlyish. My son has said the funniest things to me! He once grabbed me around the legs and shouted, "Mom! I love your body!" It took me so by surprise that he and I laughed hysterically. The other day he said, "Mom, you are so beautiful every day!" Can't wait to hear about magic. This started my day off just right.
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm Sarah. I happened upon your blog recently and have been following along since. I appreciate your honesty as well. It helps keep us waiting parents in reality... instead of in dream-land where we might think everything will be perfect. I'm a primary school teacher and never thought I would say this but I have a soft-spot for all the little dudes in my class... especially the more challenging ones. There are so sweet once you get to know them. Good luck with everything!!!!
ReplyDeleteEvelyn -- thanks for posting this. I get it. I really, truly do. I had dreams of our baby from the beginning, but the baby was in a white onesie so of course I didn't know the gender. But I was PRAYING/HOPING/WISHING for a girl. I am girly too. I have nieces. I wanted tutus and purple flowers and embroidered jeans with pink and glitter. I wanted princess birthday parties.
ReplyDeleteI was TERRIFIED of boys. Seriously. Illogically. I was, errr umm, SCARED OF THE PENIS. I was worried about diaper changes. I know this is CRAZY. I was also worried a boy would attach to Gregg more than me. I wanted to be NO. ONE and was afraid that wouldn't happen.
When we got our referral, I was in a daze. Because Sam's Amharic name is for either gender, and because he was wearing blue and purple, we didn't know his gender until we read the full medical "normal testicles"...I was still in a daze and stayed there for a couple days. I was thrilled at a referral...no doubt. And I was thrilled about Sam, it just took time to process the fact he wasn't a girl.
For our next adoption we were going to request a girl, but now are thinking of another boy because all my fears were unfounded...and NOBODY loves their mom like a little boy!
Evelyn,
ReplyDeleteI can relate to a lot of what you are feeling... I have 7 year old and 4 1/2 year old boys and They are just about 29 months apart. When I found out my second was going to be a boy, I was initially disappointed... I had been dreaming of a girl and doing "girly" things with her. That being said, by the time my 2nd son was 1 year old, they were inseparable and still are! As I am typing this, they are playing, laughing, sharing, etc. right next to me on the floor. The bond between brothers is something really special and will be such a source of enjoyment for you! I am so happy for you and what is in store for you and Bill!!! I completely understand your feelings and appreciate your bravery for sharing them. Boys are so great and so loving... I hope you get to be with them soon.
Michelle (waiting for siblings with WHFC)
Thank you for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteEvelyn, 2 boys will be a dream come true (even though it means a dream shifted, right?!). What an amazing trip you have ahead of you- I can't wait to watch it all continue to unfold!
xoxo
Evelyn, your honesty is very heartfelt and inspiring. You are going to be such an awesome mother!
ReplyDeleteEvelyn, I am humbled and grateful to know that I could be the one to help you through that shock. You can see by the comments of others that you are not alone in your initial reaction, too! As they said, you are brave to share the raw, wrenching emotions of getting a referral and the first glimpses of your new sons. And -- it has already brought several confessions or admissions of similar feelings. As we watch our adopted five -- so much older and bringing so much pain in their baggage -- and see how much more ours and whole and happy they are in these short, not quite two years, I know how wonderful it is to attach to our adopted children, and how naturally it happens. We love you and will be with you every step of the way!
ReplyDeleteOh, Evelyn. Your mom's comment made me cry. I know it was my mom's love and support that helped me to be a better mom and not freak out when my natural tendency was to do just that. It sounds like your mom is exactly the rock you need. The honesty of your post moved me and I feel sure will help families who follow in your footsteps. By the way, boys rock! We are having sooooo much fun.
ReplyDeleteThis makes so, so much sense to me! I think one of the weirdest things about a referral is that suddenly, in that moment, you find out that you have to wave goodbye to all the things that might have been, and now aren't. So it's yet another loss, and I think it comes as a shock because that day of all days isn't expected to be about loss! Good for you for writing this - I think we need more realistic stuff like this! But I'm very glad that you've now moved on to giddy :)
ReplyDeleteI love this post, too, and I understand completely. You had SO much time to envision what might be! Sounds like you worked through it so well, too.
ReplyDeleteI know this is a very belated comment, but I only just discovered your blog recently and I just now read your referral posts. We have not gotten our referral yet, but we have had some conversations with our agency over the last three weeks that caught me completely off guard and left me struggling with a lot of the emotions you describe. I just wanted to say thank you. I am leaving this comment on this particular post because I really needed to read this tonight, and you are an absolute angel for writing it. Thank you, thank you, your words have really helped me tonight. xoxo, Heidi
ReplyDelete