This is the end of the first round ... I look drunk!
Hmmm... come to think of it, that might have helped!
You know, the whole "registering for baby/kid stuff" process has been quite an adventure. I had been welcoming hand-me-downs from friends and family for the past two years, but had not allowed myself to actually go out there and start researching or buying baby/kids stuff that I might need for our kids. Number one, it felt like a risky step, one that would only propel my heart deeper into the desire to have a referral, to know and have our children. Number two, I didn't know if I was getting ready for itty bitty babies, toddlers, twins, boys, girls or some combination thereof.
Once we finally got our referral, I immediately wanted to go and "register." In Brazil, you "register" your child once they are born at a government office so that they have an official birth certificate, an official identity, an official place in society. Even though I was registering at Babies-R-Us, I still felt like registering was something official, something I had to do. I was registering for two very specific children, my children. They were coming into my world and I would need/want some things to help take care of them.
Babies-R-Us was an overwhelming experience. I went first with my good friend, L, who gets a crown in the friendship department for going through the ENTIRE store with me item by item. I later took Bill and he could not believe the size of the store. We are pretty committed to living a simple life, to saying no to a lot of STUFF, but here we were, pointing and scanning, needing and wanting STUFF!
Stuff, stuff, stuff that we had no idea about ... how many bottles do you need for a 6 month old? What kind of car seat do each of the kids need? What kind of car seat fits best in my car? Do you really need a humidifier? What type of diapers should we use? What type of baby sling is both comfortable for the baby and good for my back? What type of high chair? Etc, etc, etc. Aaaaaah!
I'm much better now. I have registered for lots and lots of stuff. I must have e-mailed, called every parent I know to ask about this or that product. I referred to this post by Katy a trazillion times (thanks, Katy!). I am sure I have registered for some things I won't need and forgot some essentials, but I am in full-fledge nesting gear and I think we are going to make it.
You want to know why? It is because we are registered. It is written down. The Ethiopian courts may not have declared us a family yet, but now we are registered. AND our boys have their own membership cards to our local gym. Who can argue with that?
You don't look drunk but perhaps you should be. Imagine the full of opening gifts you don't remember registering for!
ReplyDeleteIt was so fun to do this. To share in your excitement has been a privilege. And...I learned a whole lot about baby stuff! Bring on the gifts!!!
ReplyDeleteIt is overwhelming, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteWe don't do baby showers in my family, my mother thinks it's bad luck to give presents for a baby that doesn't really exist yet. I am just going to get the basics - a car seat, a few clothes, a bed and dresser, a sippy cup, maybe a sling and some diapers and pull-ups - and let people give me other stuff once we're home!
it doesn't help that babies R Us has a list of about a million things they say you NEED! When I registered for our first I stood in the stroller section and cried until my friend showed up to help! From experience you need only 3 or 4 bottles for a baby (and maybe one for the older boy depending on what he is used to/uses for soothing), get a convertable carseat for the baby (so you don't have to buy another once he gets bigger) a convertable seat for the older kiddo is helpful too (one that breaks down into a booster). You don't need a humidifier unless the heat in your house dries out the air (do you wake up in winter with dry snot filled nose? if not you dont need humidifier)
ReplyDeletediapers- unless you are cloth diapering the store brand works wonders! (though seventh generation is super absorbant! but pricey, and gdiapers are great but also super pricey)
slings- DO NOT get a sling at babies R Us they have a crap selection. check out kangarooKorner.com or your local babywearing group (usually if you contact the local la leche folks they know of the babywearers). I've found MeiTai style slings are the most comfy (people say great things about the ergo in this regard, but they are pricey, we like our babyhawk and a handmade one we got off Etsy). Plus you can wear either child in the mei tai!
Stroller- invest in a sit and stand so the older child has the option of sitting down or walking on longer trips. Some folks like Phil and Ted's double stroller but in that one kid sits under the other (and its usually the younger one)
Liz is crazy if she thinks I'm going to let her get out of having some sort of shower!
FYI to all, I'm scheming now with Liz to see if we can do an online shower for her. More details to come.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the tips, Regina!
Evelyn - in case you were wondering - Regina is my younger sister!
ReplyDeleteHa ha!
ReplyDeleteRegistering is something I have looked forward to for years, but like you, I won't be doing it until I have referral in hand and I know what and when something is happening! That place is so overwhelming, so I'm glad you had some help!
ReplyDelete