Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Merry Christmas, Ethiopia!


This is an icon at the Holy Trinity Church in Addis Ababa
Today, Christmas is being celebrated in Ethiopia
God's peace to a beautiful country

---------------

While in Addis, the Wide Horizons staff there were concerned that we and all the other families traveling with us were missing Christmas at home.  We tried over and over to convey that Christmas 09 would be the Christmas of all our lives, but they still insisted on having a Christmas celebration with us.  They formed a committee with one American and what came out was a funny Ethio-American Christmas that we will always remember.





Children Perfoming (Recognize A's friend, Elfe?)

Coffee Ceremony 
Balloon Christmas Tree
 
Christmas Bonfire
 Ethio-American Christmas Banquet


One day, I will have to post the videos of the Christmas fireworks, including the firework that went awry and shot into the children!  All was well, but did I felt like a mama hen then!  Memories!  Hope your Christmas was memorable, too!

12 comments:

  1. A firework that went awry? YIKES!!

    Beautiful pictures....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It looks like they worked hard to make you guys feel like you were home for Christmas! Love the pictures!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. There will never be a Christmas like that one! You got some great pictures, I am hoping to post mine too soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas with your children and new friends...what could be better than that??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wonderful Christmas celebration!! Amazing memories. Sweet picture of Agegnehu& Elfe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special Christmas for you! Merry Ethiopian Christmas to you too! I also posted a little something about the Ethiopian Christmas on my blog.

    Hope you adjustments with your new family will go well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The people at HH are so special. How like them to be thinking of you missing Christmas at home and making your time in Ethiopia even more special. I loved all the staff at HH. (...and they gave you chairs to sit on! ...I have so many memories of sitting on that little lip on the wall for what seemed like hours...(smile)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the christmas story from my mom (note that mom has told us stories yet not the bloggy sister!)
    I like the traditions that could come out of that funny little celebration- balloons on trees! fun hats! and presents! what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christmas BONFIRE! Right there in the middle of the courtyard?! Do you think Agegnehu will remember it when he is old? The pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...