Sunday, March 07, 2010

Baby Love

 

My sweet little baby son, K, is such a delight.  He has come such a long way since we first met him in Ethiopia 2 and a half months ago.  Then, at 8 months, he could barely hold his head up, he could not sit up or hold any weight on his legs, he gave no real eye contact and he shook his head side to side, side to side to soothe himself.

I cannot believe he is the same child!  He sits up, rolls over, crawls backwards, eats solid foods, screams (as you all know), is getting some very delicious baby fat, signs the words "milk" and "eat" appropriately,  puts weight on his legs and even bounces.  His eye contact is still not 100%, but so, so much better.  He also has three little games he initiates with me that just melt my heart .... blinking several times so I'll do the same, lowering his forehead towards me so I will bump foreheads with him and smiling the sweetest smile while doing a little dance so that I will reciprocate.  He loves being held.  He loves rubbing our faces together.  He lights up when I come into a room.  He squeals with laughter when I kiss his neck.

The first few weeks home, I took care of him, looked after him, but felt almost numb to what was happening in my life.  Then one day, without warning, "baby love" hit me so hard it hurt.  I was surprised by a primal, hormonal, emotional and physical love for this baby.  He didn't return the feeling immediately, but I can tell something has happened between us in the last few weeks.  He is learning what it is like to have a mommy (and a daddy, too!), what it means to be loved and to have security.  He is blossoming in that love and feelings I can't even put into words are blossoming in me, too.  Baby love.  I recommend it.

___________________________

*** Coming soon:  Loving a Three Year Old

17 comments:

  1. I know that feeling and I'm sooo happy that you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Evelyn. This is beautiful. I am so happy for you and little Kibru.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post. You have me teary at work when I am supposed to be photocopying... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was having difficulty accessing this blog because of some gmail issues...

    i'm so happy i finally got through!

    I love this post!

    i had the same experience with Q. for weeks i was just kind of numb...it was overwhelming the changes ...and then one day it hit. really like a truck.
    he's adorable by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad Kibru is making such progress!

    It's funny, I've had kind of the opposite experience...love seems to be sneaking up on me little by little, instead of hitting me upside the head all at once like I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can your happy mommy say, "I told you so!"? I knew it would hit you super hard. This is it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am so with you. i miss you. but we are connected in this. love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. Cant wait to feel that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful picture of the two of you. I can just see the love. I love hearing how much progress he has made in such a short time. It's amazing the difference the love and care of a family makes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful post, Evelyn! I am so happy to hear of all this love and progress!! Looking forward to your 'three year old love' post. Gotta be gettin' me some of that too soon!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what an amazing 2 months! I am so happy for you, your husband and those beautiful boys. The resiliency and strength of children is astounding; I can't wait to experience it myself! Meg B-Chicago by-dirigible.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy for you!! both!! big, pouring, growing baby love is so powerful and healing.
    xoxo to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful photo, and a beautiful post! I love the way you described the games he likes to play. (Sorry I'm so slow to this - for some unknown reason, my Google Reader isn't picking up your posts in a timely fashion.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. awwwww....lovely! it does change you doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...