Friday, March 05, 2010

Brothers

 

It seems my boys might grow up hearing "Are they brothers?" asked from the mouths of many (the physical therapist, librarian, checkout lady at the grocery store, nurse, potential school teacher, etc).  I don't understand 1) why that is such a necessary piece of information or 2) why people still ask that question after it has been established that they are both my children (that would make them brothers, right?) or 3) why folks don't realize the insensitivity of that question.  BUT we get asked that A LOT.  I know the real question:  "Are they BIOLOGICAL brothers."   In our case, yes, they happen to be biological brothers, but the question still throws me back a bit.  Agenhu already knows what the word "brother" means.  I am sure he understands the question.  What is going to be the impact on my boys of having to hear that question throughout their lives?  

I don't remember anyone asking my mother whether my two brothers and I were siblings.  Yet I clearly remember an instance where I felt less than a full sister and it broke my heart.  Technically and biologically speaking, I am the only child between my mother and father.  My brothers, Juan and Oscar, whom I grew up with, were of my mother's second marriage.  Technically and biologically speaking, they are my half brothers.  My sweet brother Oscar, 7 years younger than me, learned this technicality at about age 5 or so.  I overheard him tell someone he had one brother and one half-sister.  He was just learning this information and was trying to get things straight.  I took it to mean I was less-than somehow, that I was only half a sister, when in my heart, I loved him completely, without any qualifications.  I cried and cried, like only a twelve year old with a flair for drama can.  My mother had to explain to me that my brother meant no harm and my sweet little brother promised me he wasn't going to call me that again.

Why that story?  Because I remember it to this day.  I remember the pain of feeling like my technical siblinghood did not reflect the emotional siblinghood and connection I felt to my little brother.  What will happen when the technical and biological relationship of my boys gets questioned over and over?  Will they not even think about it and get used to the questions?  Or will they wonder sometimes about the legitimacy of their relationship?  Will they feel they have to prove it?  I don't know, but as a mother, my heart hurts for them.  

Two little Ethiopian boys out with their Brazilian/American mommy and their American daddy.  We are a family.  We love each other.  We don't have to prove it.

13 comments:

  1. I think this is one of those things where how Agenhu and Kibru feel about it in the future will probably be influenced a lot by how you react to the questions now...if you get huffy and defensive about it, they will learn that that's the way to react to the question and might feel like they constantly have to prove they are brothers, but if you can laugh it off and have a "what a silly question, of course they are brothers" attitude, they will learn to be secure in their relationship.

    One more hard part about adoption...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had to put this into practice yet, though - I've actually been surprised so far that no one has questioned my relationship to Elfe! Maybe adoption has just become a normal thing around here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thoughtful post and I agree wholeheartedly with what Liz said. Your sons are watching you ALL the time and internalizing what you say, how you say it, and what your actions are...no pressure though =) This topic is yet another valuable lesson that I will file away for when we bring our 2 kids home. Thank you, as always, for your honesty and sharing. Meg B-Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second what Meg has already said. I love your honesty, and although I would like to think I have thought various situations and scenarios through, there is no possible way to predict how I/we will react to people's comments and questions. So thank you for opening my eyes....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Groceryidiots. I hope that there comes a day (it's a loooooong way off)when our kids are old enough, and confident enough and comfortable enough to mess with people who ask the dumbest of insensitive questions. Like you could say something like "of mine? No, they're not my brothers." And you could all laugh. Silly little fantasies I have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A ray of hope from the future for you, Ev. . . it has probably been a year since I last got that question, and we used to get it so regularly. My theory is that something about the youngest being a baby/toddler triggers it. Once my youngest was past that stage, we stopped hearing it. Or maybe I just got better at unconsciously projecting "Ask me anything rude about my daughters and I'll ask you if your kids were planned or did your birth control just fail" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite adoptive mama bloggers always has the same response when people ask her this question: "Well, they're both calling me mom"! Your boys are beautiful, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, Evelyn. I feel for the 12 year old you! You have some special experiences that help you to be such a wonderful, sensitive adoptive mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, one more thing we have in common. I grew up with two younger sisters from my mother's second marriage, so I know what you are talking about. As for those insensitive comments that people make, well, sometimes I like to think that the uniqueness of our families are like a people filters. The ones who get it, the ones we want to surround ourselves with, won't ask that question, or at least not in that way. The other ones need to be educated or ignored. I've been getting a lot of "are they twins?" lately. Wait till you see them! They couldn't possibly look more alike! I think sometimes the people who don't get it just don't know what to say...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so amazing that you are keeping your head above water as a new mama and still able to blog about things like this! Go YOU! :) I love this post. Yes, you are. You are a family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. heck yeah!! you don't have to prove it! I'm sure that our kids will all experience that on some level...our oldest has a different bio-dad and our youngest 2 (who have yet to enter the scene) will be from Ethiopia. I think the best thing we can do as parents is to provide them with loads of love and the tools to deal with the challenges life brings their way. we just happen to have a different kind of family!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post and so central to adoption "issues". I've been mulling over how to handle that one when #2 comes along. I also keep thinking that I expect some sort of sensitivity from strangers and people we come in contact with and should just get over it - its not there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...