Thursday, October 07, 2010

Careful When Stepping Outside

A and Apapa earlier this year

Last week, Bill's lovely parents were here to help me with the boys while Bill was away for six days.  After lunch one day, I was cuing up "Diego" for A while K slept so that we adults could take a break.  I was using Netflix's instant play feature and it was taking a while.  I needed to make a quick trip to the bathroom, so I asked that A wait for me at the computer.  Quick trip to the bathroom finished (sorry, there is a point to this) and I go back to find A right where I left him.  Netflix is actually instant this time and he starts watching his beloved Diego.  The doorbell rings almost immediately.

At the door is a policeman.  He asks if I am alone.  I am so confused and a bit scared something has happened to Bill.  I tell him my sons (A runs up behind me, checks him out and then runs to the window to check out his car) and my in-laws (whom I point to - they are sitting down in the living room) are with me.  He tells me there has been a report of AN OLDER WHITE MALE DRAGGING A YOUNG AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE INTO THE HOUSE.  The words don't even register, I am confused.  I tell him Bill's dad (whom the officer can see) might have brought A back inside.  The officer asks, "But DRAGGING him?"  Still perplexed, I say that I am sure he was not dragged and that all is well.  There is a bit more to the dialogue, but not much.  He leaves and I try to understand what has just happened.

I realize that in the five minutes or less that I was in the bathroom, my wonderful father-in-law goes out of the front door to check the weather outside.  A being A hears the door and runs out to see what was going on.  My father-in-law is ready to come back inside and A being A is not.  Now I truthfully don't care what happened next.  Did he DRAG him?  Did he pull him?  Did A being A resist and exaggerate?  Did my father-in-law, who is 80 years old with severe back problems, grab A before he got too far away and into the street?  I have complete and utter trust in this man, so I want it to be understood that what he did or didn't do to A is not at issue.  Within those five minutes, A makes it back to his chair to watch Diego and he is completely unscathed.  AND all of this happened in front of Bill's mom.

What is at issue, is how I felt afterwards.  I felt completely confused, sad and intruded upon.  I realize that no one did anything wrong in this scenario.  Not A.  Not my father-in-law.  Not the officer (though the more I think about it, the more I am unsure of this).  And not the person "reporting" this (though we really think the officer saw it himself and came to investigate as the police never respond THAT quickly to anything around here - all I did was pee).

There are so many lingering thoughts.
  • Had A been white, I don't believe anyone would have thought twice about it. 
  • Had an elderly black man who really intended to harm my child done this, I don't think anyone would have investigated the scene.
  • What if it had been me?  And it has been so many times!  Are we going to have to answer to the police every time we pull our children away from danger?
  • I really thought I was safe from being the conspicuous family within my own house.  Lesson:  don't step out of your house!?
  • What if the officer was not satisfied with me saying A was my son?
  • I felt hurt, having the loving relationship of A and his "Apapa" boiled down to: "AN OLDER WHITE MALE DRAGGING A YOUNG AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE INTO THE HOUSE"
*******

I have just now rehashed this AGAIN with Bill (who is trying to sleep).  We realized that this incident is perhaps the first time we were actually being treated like everyone else in our community.  I was feeling sad for myself, when really the officer was treating us just like our neighbors are treated.  We live in a low income, primarily African-American community.  It is an almost daily occurrence to see a black man pulled over by the police (usually by SEVERAL patrol cars), spread eagled on a cop car.  Our friends and neighbors (men and women) get pulled over and questioned for much lesser things than the five minute scene at my doorstep every day when they are completely innocent (don't get me started).  We have lived here almost nine years in complete privilege and this is our first negative encounter with the police.

And for my sweet K (and A), this is likely just the first of many times the cops will intrude on their lives because they are black.  I realize that this is why I am sad.  I am sad my neighbors, for my boys, for the immense injustice of it all.

12 comments:

  1. This was really difficult for me to read, Evelyn. I can just see it happening to me/my father and how CRUSHED my father would be if someone thought he was dragging his grandson inside and in reality, I believe you are absolutely correct, the color and age difference were too much for it to be "normal." I just wish that it weren't so. It's unsettling, that's for sure. And a bit harsh. I wish I had the "right" words, even though I doubt that they truly exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some sad insights, and a glimpse (a sad one) of what life is for so many, all because too many people still refuse to believe that the only race that counts is the HUMAN RACE. I love my multicolored, multi-everything family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm,I like you point about being treated "like any family"in the neighborhood. Was this officer just reacting to a situation he saw and was just doing his job. Or, was his reaction dependent upon the color of those involved. You'll probably never know, but it's an interesting reality that transracial families face...like you always have to be on guard and questioning of people's intentions. As if being a parent isn't tough enough... =) Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blech. Sickening gross feeling. I'm sorry this happend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Evelyn.

    That is terrible, and the lingering torment of questions it provides, terrible.

    So sorry. I would have felt the exact same way.

    I was just watching a video on racial profiling the other day; in fact, a U.S. Congressman sort of recently introduced a national anti-racial profiling bill.

    Here it is, I plan to contact my Congressman about it (the video linked to at the end is very powerful):

    http://restorefairness.org/tag/end-racial-profiling-act/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have much of anything insightful to day, other than, in general, I strongly dislike interacting with the police, even though most encounters I've had have turned out fine. It still leaves on with a really bad feeling.

    When the security guard at the mall thought Z had been left alone in the play area (she didn't see any Black parents) I was upset for days. And that was so minor. The first week after we moved in our upstairs neighbors (who were from inner city Chi-town) called the cops on us -- the kids and I were playing Go Fish screaming and hollering like crazy. We later got to know them and all was fine, and when the policeman came he saw nothing wrong. Yet it leaves SUCH a bad aftertaste, doesn't it?

    So I don't know. I have nothing really insightful to day, just feeling your discomfort with you. In a way, good someone is attempting to watching out for the kids, I guess... But yeah, I don't like it, either, to say the least.

    I do like it, however, that you are blogging! Missed you those few days. I almost emailed you to see if all was well. Hasta luego, Amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flip side of the fantastic diversity in our neighborhood is that whenever we see anyone being questioned/ticketed/arrested/etc. by the police, it is more than likely to be a black person. I often wonder about when Elfe will notice that and what she will think about it...and I try not to think too much about her being on the receiving end of such police attention some day. It's tough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, forgot to say! Love the new blog look. The pictures of all of you are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi evelyn, am i just seeing this differently from everyone else? the police officer came to your son's aid by investigating. he didn't do anything negative in doing so did he?

    our families don't look like the normal bio family and perhaps it looked worrying enough to the police that an (assumed) unrelated male was forcing a child inside a house where he didn't belong?

    perhaps the police officer is guilty of stereotyping what a family looks like which because of them being racially differ caused his checking?

    I'm sorry for the angst this caused you and I certainly don't mean to add to it. I have worried and agonized more than my fair share since becoming a transracial family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the officer was responding to a call from a neighbor who witnessed it and was concerned a neighborhood child was being dragged into your house. It sounds like the officer believed your story or he would have definitely gotten more information about your father-in-law and checked A's welfare in more detail.

    I live in a very diverse area also. My hispanic 16 and 17 yr old sons aready, unfortunately, feel targeted by the police and feel the police can "do whatever they want" due to experiences with friends at school and in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, honey, this sounds so hard :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, I totally missed this post! WTF? I can't believe that happened to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...