| The new mommy, by A |
For 2011, I have been given a brand spanking new year's present: a reset button. I get a complete break from my 2010 routines. I get a chance to re-organize my life after the dust has somewhat settled from our first year home.
First of all, I am working again. It is only in the afternoons and only for a very few months, but I am back as the Director of the afterschool program I began eight years ago. We have had some staff changes and until the new director arrives in March, I am back at it again. I've exchanged the responsibility for two little boys in the afternoon, for that of 40 kids. The change is doing me good. And the boys are left in very capable hands: Bill's! He has shifted his schedule so that he stays home three afternoons and on two afternoons, a very sweet babysitter is here. It is good for all of us. Fresh air. It will especially be good for my relationship with A. He and I are the ones that need a major "reset" button, for we push each others buttons all afternoon long (he goes to school in the mornings). Now our time is shorter, but sweeter, and I have a chance to step back and figure out how to be his mom in more a more positive way.
I am also upping my exercise routine to: regular. It was anything but regular last year and my entire being needs my body to be stronger, leaner, tougher. At the gym, I have been listening to Creating a Family podcasts. I have such little time/energy to read adoption books, but many of these podcasts on attachment, bonding, behavioral issues, learning, etc. have been wonderful resources for me as a parent. They are my pep-talks before I go back home and face the day. It has been so good for me to step back, to remember why I am doing this, to remind myself of what kind of mother I want to be, to get a glimpse of the bigger picture again.
Another thing I chose to start off the year was a major detox. I have never weighed as much as I weighed at the end of 2010. I don't blame myself nor am I beating myself up over it, but it is time to change. I was dealing with so much last year, and eating is just so darn pleasurable for me, but all good things must come to an end :) I found a mind/body detox here that I have been following. So far, I have lost 6 pounds, my mind is clearer and so is my outlook. I took a big blog/facebook break, but now I am back.
I feel really good. My life feels different, yet the same. I am not starting the year with anything I am unfamiliar with. The feeling I have, which I haven't had in a while is this: I can do it.
Happy 2011 to all of you. I have missed you. I have a new bulletin board above my little desk, full of pictures of many of you, my dear friends. Thanks for the beautiful pictures of your families. I look forward to sharing another year of our adventures together!
You have survived a very difficult year and have come out stronger. I love that you are getting some time in for you, that ultimately benefits your entire family. You are an amazing mother and such an inspiration! I hope you are also drinking delicious teas and getting some great facials...b/c that is so wonderfully Evelyn. :)
ReplyDeletewelcome back Evelyn...I've been thinking of you...glad to hear about the reset, I'm needing something of the same myself getting going for this new year. kudos to you for getting through year one of being a mom! it will only get better, and easier, I promise. be well.
ReplyDeleteMissed you! Work is sooooooo good! You have done an amazing job just getting through the first 365! You have. Happy you have these new opportunities and it's wonderful that Bill is going to have some more one on one time with the boys.
ReplyDeleteThis post is very inspiring to me. I think I need to learn from you... missed you! And very, very proud of you, friend!
ReplyDeleteMay you have a joyous and fulfilling resetting, dear amiga. Like Bridget said, this post is very inspiring.
ReplyDeleteYou have a wonderful outlook as you begin 2011 and I love the idea of a 'reset' button. Change, even the best most wanted kind, is hard and your life has completely changed in the past year. You articulate so well all of your feelings...thank you for sharing them here. It seems to me you are one heckuva mother and taking some time to yourself (with a little work, exercise) will make you even better. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! We missed you! Here is to a fantastic 2011 for you. xoxo
ReplyDeleteI was missing you too. I think this break from being 'just' a mom is going to be really good for you. Mazel!
ReplyDeleteYay! Your still here!. Happy Joyous Laughter filled 2011 to you and yours
ReplyDeleteGlad you're feeling more peaceful and that you're finding some patterns and plans that work for you. No two of us are exactly the same, remember! Do what works:-)
ReplyDeleteMan this post makes me feel so good! Kind of like a hug from you, and big laughs and a warm scone.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back. It's a tough road to here and you've had it tougher than most. But I bet now you feel like you can do anything.
Welcome back! Happy New Year! It sounds like it's off to a great start.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful, wonderful feel-good post this is! Love it! You are inspiring me, as well. Keep on the exercise and healthy approach to everything. I am so glad you are back writing. Congratulations on doing all that you did this past year, and here's to a beautiful 2011 for you and your family. Your kids are front and center on my fridge, btw. :) I'll maybe have to send you a real picture one of these days of us. Cuidate mucho, bella!
ReplyDeleteEvelyn, you sound great, truly. I agree that the work thing does wonders for the mind and heart. I love the idea of a "reset." xoxo, friend.
ReplyDeleteReset... SUCH a good idea. You sound really calm and centred - I'm very jealous!! This is such a positive post. And yeah, WAY TO GO on getting through those first 365 days. It's definitely a marathon, not a sprint, huh? xxx!
ReplyDeleteSo amazed by you Evelyn. Your one of the resources I turn to when I need an inspiration- when I am feeling down- thank you for reminding me (as you always do) that it's a long- unpaved but enjoyable road we are all on. Hugs and love to you and Enjoy that Reset button!
ReplyDeleteHi Evelyn, I am one of the many who has missed you. I'm excited for your reset and I'm a huge believer in "shorter and sweeter" time with your kid is a good and needed thing. I too have ramped up the exercise and am doing a running program which is paying dividends of both the physical and mental kind. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to hop on and wish you a beautiful 2011. I hope it is amazing for your whole family : )
ReplyDeleteMissed you! May this new year bring much joy and peace to you in both expected and unexpected ways.
ReplyDeleteReset - I love it! And yes, this was so inspiring. I'm off to check out that detox. Loved how you said you weren't going to beat yourself up about it. I need to do the same. I'm only hoping Eveylyn's scones, or some version of, are part of the detox. :)
ReplyDeleteHappy 2011!
Happy New Year to you and your family!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year! May 2011 be filled with sweetness and light! And it sounds like you are off to a good start on accomplishing just that.
ReplyDeleteI love the reset idea. You had such an amazing 2010 - full of joy and challenges and trying to find yourself in your new life. Good for you for taking the time and making the effort to turn 2011 into the best year it can be.
ReplyDelete