It is so funny to hear/read of mothers everywhere who sound soooo excited about summer. For me, summer=bummer. Period. Lest you have just joined my adventure, let me remind you that last summer was my first summer as a mother of two. I had no experience in motherhood and it was kicking my butt. So, I
kicked back early in the year, which left me a little wimpy for a while. As summer approached, I learned of
this. My world turned upside down and my stress levels went through the roof. I
caved, or the floor caved, whatever. It was just what I needed as we prepared for the
hardest day I have faced thus far as a parent. Are you getting the picture? Last summer was beyond awful. Add to that our city's unbearable heat and humidity in the summer and I was one hot-headed, explosive mama.
So there has been a lot of anxiety and trepidation on my end about this summer. A LOT. I talked to anyone who would listen about it, I lost some sleep, I tossed around option after option and have finally made a decision. Instead of sending Scootle-doot to an expensive, private (albeit wonderful) Montessori school for 3 mornings a week, he is going to stay home. This summer is not last summer. I think I can do this. We will have a babysitter for one morning a week. Every other Friday, I will have the day to myself, thanks to a friend child-swap situation I was so thankful to be offered (wee!!!). The summer is also peppered with little trip here, friends visits there, Grammy's house here, Bill family week at a beach house there, mini family trip to Tampa here and an entire week of vacation Bible school at church, where both boys are busy every morning without me. This summer might actually be doable. It started yesterday and so far so good.
My goals this summer can be summarized by photos of this morning:
 |
| I think I can, I think I can .... this was hard with two big boys! I want to lose weight and get in shape, which I have already started making strides towards, thankfully! |
 |
| I want to stop and enjoy the scenery, this magical stage of my life. |
 |
| I want to get closer to him. |
 |
| I want to focus on his getting his speech level higher and higher. |
 |
| I want to give the boys lots of opportunities to explore... |
 |
| and explore some more. |
 |
| I want to soak up every last bit of baby left in him. |
For my sanity, I will blog about this summer, this summer of unbroken bones (we hope). I think it has the potential to do wonders towards my mama self-confidence and towards my relationship with my boys. Wish me well! And I wish all you other mamas a wonderful summer, as well. We can do it.
Just my gut, but I think you are going to have a wonderful summer. Yes, you can do it.
ReplyDeleteYou can totally do it. You are different. Each of them is older. It's a new summer. None of them are the same. But, to be fair to yourself, as you know, spending lots of each and every day with young children is taxing for anyone. So allow yourself some leeway to feel like crap about it.
ReplyDeleteYou're inspiring me!
ReplyDeleteYou can do it! You are going to get closer to both boys and it will be very good for all of you. That said make sure you build into every day some time for yourself. Do they watch tv? If they do use that or something like it. Great about the exercise too!
ReplyDeleteYup, you are going to do it. Great attitude, more experienced, bigger boys, plans, goals you can reach....you have it in the bag! Wishing you a great summer!
ReplyDeleteOh, your summer was something else, girl. Let that association to summer to be gone with the spring winds. I agree that now that the boys are older you can do much more. I miss Manny being a baby in some ways, but now he can do so many more things.
ReplyDeleteSending love and long distance cheering from Philadelphia. Hope you have a great summer! - Leah, Drew & Emery Hood
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, last summer is OVER AND GONE. This summer will be totally different. Lots of love to you.
ReplyDelete(And I just LOVE these pics! So strong and graphic!)
It's going to be a GREAT summer!
ReplyDeleteYes, you are going to have a wonderful summer! What a beautiful picture on the bridge, so nice that you live in that sort of place. Those are some great goals. Enjoy it, and keep on posting! :)
ReplyDeleteYou can absolutely do this! Cheers to the Summer of Unbroken Bones!
ReplyDeleteI have a really good feeling about your summer. In fact, I'm envious of it. Well, except for that whole heat and humidity thing. Sending loads of juju your way!
ReplyDeleteYou know, before I had time to sit down and actually read this post,I saw the title and thought, oh boy, the boys must be in a new fun rowdy self-endangerment stage. Totally forgot that was YOU going through that stage, not them, a long long long time ago :) So it will be a new summer, and hmmmm, we might have to do some babysitting swapping of our own (the kind where you and Bill maybe even get to go out together at night, I think they call it a Date. . . )
ReplyDeleteWishing you a summer of connection, exploration, happy memories, lots of cuddles and peace. Happy summer!
ReplyDelete