Sunday, September 11, 2011

America, America

Goodness is stronger than evil, 
love is stronger than hate, 
light is stronger than darkness, 
truth is stronger than lies. 
         -Desmond Tutu


I am not always proud to say I am a Christian nor to say that I am an American (be it naturalized).  Christians have done so many horrible things in the name of God that I shudder at the thought.  Americans have done horrible things in the name of ideology.   Yet today, I feel honored to be both.

To honor 9/11, we had an interfaith service at my church.  We heard from the Torah, the Koran and the New Testament.  There was jazz, Native American flute, Celtic chants, Gospel music and poetry.  There were Jewish youth, beautifully covered Muslim women, Christian children.  There were people of many colors.  Yet we all sang and proclaimed one thing:  Peace, Shalom, Salam.  We all cried at the Jazz musician singing her soulful Amazing Grace as well as the Native American singing America, The Beautiful.

I felt transcended by the desire of so many people around me for peace, for love, for forgiveness.  I believe that God looked at all of the people coming together to proclaim that love is stronger than hate today and that God wept, too, longing right there beside us.

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. seriously. Your first sentiments are exactly the words i've been searching for going on 10 years now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a wonderful quote on the top of the page, and I love your post, too! What a great place to be, and a great way to remember 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is as beautiful as you, Evelyn.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...