Friday, September 09, 2011
This Picture Kills Me
This is a picture of me in 2009, holding one of my dearest friend's daughter. I love my friend, I love her daughter. This has nothing to do with them. It has everything to do with being an adoptive parent. Little did I know when that photo was taken that I had a son, the exact same age (they were born a few days apart). But I would not get to see my son(s) for another 6 months (Boo and this baby were both almost 2 months old here). Who was holding my 2 month old baby? Who was comforting my 2 year old little boy? Tragedy had already struck their short lives. And yet I sit smiling, enjoying this baby and longing for mine.
This is just one tiny hurt, of the many big and small hurts that come from forming a family through adoption. Yes, I know all families have hurts and YES, of course I know that our family is filled to the brim with joys. But sometimes, these hurts come up for me, for the boys. There are no words to comfort.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yes. And, beautiful. I'm so happy I know you.
ReplyDeleteIt kills me too.
ReplyDeletethe hurts, they hurt so, so much.
ReplyDeleteDo you remember those referral photos of L. that you and I saw together for the first time? Remember how the social worker showed us the baby one first? I fell in love immediately. Then she said, "this one was the six-month old photo" and placed a 12-month old photo on top of it. With a shock I realized that baby I'd just fallen in love with had disappeared forever, replaced by this 1-year old bravely standing by her stroller. I never had a chance to get to know that baby, though that toddler was to be the love of my life. I entered the stream of her life as it was already flowing, fast. You and Bill did too.
ReplyDelete