I currently have about 4-5 bottles of barely used products I did not like (either for me or for the boys). I just gave away about 4-5 bottles of said stuff last month. Maybe this post can save you and/or your family some bottles sitting in the back of your bathroom cabinet.
My favorite shampoo "EVER in my whole life" as Scootle would say:
| Rainforest Shine from The Body Shop |
This bottle has things I love wrapped into one: 1) it works, 2) it is organic, *3*) it is community trade, 4) there is stuff in there from Brazil and 5) it has a very pleasant smell - I LOVE this smell in Boo's hair. Our entire family uses this shampoo.
We have also tried Rainforest Moisture, also from the Bodyshop, which works really well. The only thing I did not like about Rainforest Moisture was the smell - it smells like honey, but STRONG honey. I do wish it had been the perfect shampoo, because it could have been "Three Continent Family official shampoo!" It has ingredients from Brazil and the honey is from cooperatives in Ethiopia (surely there is something from the US in there?)! Too bad it is so honey-ey.
My friend first hooked me up with this next beautiful, delicious hair product, which I luuuv:
You can find it at Target or Wholefoods or somewhere else, I am sure. It is also 1) organic, 2) smells nice enough and 3) it works! It is what I used with Boo once we actually sat in a chair to detangle his hair. I love the moisture and shine it gives to our hair. I use it on myself and on both boys. They also make a hair custard, which I am itching to try (have you tried it?).
Speaking of itching, this is a surprisingly nice conditioner, which has the added benefit of cutting down on the scratching:
| Tea Tree Tingle from Trader Joe's |
I like that: 1) It smells really nice, 2) it has the fresh scent of tea tree, 3) it tingles :), 4) it is super thick, 5) it conditions really well and 6) it is pretty cheap.
Finally, one last product:
I have a small spray bottle that I fill with a few drops of this essential oil (I love Lavender, but you can use any scent you like) + water that has been boiled and cooled. To refresh our hair, especially in the morning, I spray on the concoction and then use gel (for me) or the Kinky Kurly (for the boys) and scrunch it into the hair. It gives our hair back its shine and dignity (mostly my dignity because the boys don't care - I just hate to take our hair out in public when its dry and crazy).
Lest I leave out one member of the family, below, I will give you Bill's haircare routine:
The end.
Coming soon: Pictures of a lifetime of hair care or lack thereof.
________
Update on Hair (Primeira Parte):
I just got the Tangle Teaser in the mail today, so I let Boo soak a good while in the tub with the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner (AOHR). Then I sat him in front of Elmo again, stuck a pacifier in his mouth and went to town. I actually used clips so that I could keep the hair I'd already detangled separate from the rest. I did not hear one peep of complaint from him. His only indication that he was aware of what I was doing was the occasional shake of the head to feel the clips that were weighing his hair down.
So the lowdown on the AOHR conditioner is that it works well, but it sure does stink (I am very particular about smell - rose is NOT on my OK list). I think I will only use it on super detangle Elmo paci days. As for the Tangle Teaser, I am in love and yet I doubt myself. For Scootle's hair, it is absolutely perfectly perfect. His hair is just the right length for it. He is THE most tenderheaded child I have EVER met (hence the short hair), but he loved the TTeaser. He couldn't wait to show daddy his brushed out hair (which looked almost exactly like his non-brushed out hair).
Though the TTeaser was fabuloso for detangling Boo's hair, it left him with big hair, devoid of his beautiful curls. It is alright for once in a while, but I do not prefer it. As a curly girl who brushed out her curl for the first part of her life, I don't like curl denial. I think curls need to be set free to be. So I'll let Boo sleep tonight with no curls, but in the morning, I'll spray him with the lavender spray to bring the curls back to life.
I haven't gotten the Africa Sleeps sleep caps yet - they are being shipped from Canada - but I can't wait! Will post about how they work ... I know, you are on the edge of your seats, aren't you?
![]() |
| Super detangle Elmo paci day in progress |

Thanks you so much for this. It's so nice to read details about doing boy's hair. I haven't tried the Tangle Teaser yet, but it's on my list (my very long, wonderful-product-to-try list)!
ReplyDeleteThank-you!
ReplyDeleteI love and even envy your hair! I know it's difficult but it's so gorgeous! I'm going to buy some of these.
And yes, we have a bunch of products that are not working, sitting in the back of our closet.
Wow, thanks Evelyn! Loved the ideas, I'm going to try the one from Trader Joe's -- maybe the Kinky Curly one from Target, too. And I love your hair, too! I spent most of younger life trying to give my hair body, everything from perms to curling irons -- still use mousse and gel and whatever. Your natural bounciness is what flat-haired girls envy! :)
ReplyDeleteThe Target we go to does not sell Kinky Curly, likely due to the whitey mcwhitersoness of the town in which it sits. Our Whole Foods has a large selection of products and lines which I love, and they frequently have good sales, and then I stock up. Like 2-4 dollars off.
ReplyDeleteWell, nobody can say you haven't gone all out and run the extra mile.... or 5K.... to get the right stuff for "my" boys' hair!! You go, Evelyn! I miss you guys so much!
ReplyDeletei am actually on the edge of my seat ... we (gasp) have not introduced the sleep cap yet. so, i am super excited for a review! and also, i love you and miss you a lot!!!
ReplyDeleteOn the AOHR: you might check out Aubrey’s Island Naturals Replenishing Conditioner. Works well for my daughter. Scent is still strong – allspice – but it dissipates pretty quickly. Just got the Knot Today last week and am loving it.
ReplyDelete