Our Sunday morning church routine usually goes like this - I take the boys with me, Boo-boo goes in the nursery and Scootle goes to a big kids' class. I go to an adult forum. Once that is over, Boo remains in the nursery, I pick up Scootle, and we go into the worship service. Early on, there is a time for children to go to the front of the church and hear a story, then they are ushered out by some volunteers for some play time outside for the remainder of the service. At the end, I go and collect both boys from the nursery/outside play. Recently, I have started taking Boo in to the worship service along with Scootle. Then they both go outside and play. As Boo is getting introduced to "big church," I don't always take him in there.
Last Sunday, I was late coming out of the adult forum and did not have Scootle (he went to another church with Bill), so I chose to leave Boo in the nursery. When I walked in, I realized our beloved nursery worker had brought in all the kids and was sitting with them in the front. The church was packed, so I just sat in the back, looking longingly at my Boo. He did not see me. I began to get more and more uncomfortable and wanted to leap over people to go and hold my boy. He was sitting on the beloved nursery worker's lap and I could not even concentrate. She and Boo have a very sweet relationship. I would say that outside the family, she is the person he is closest to. So I was feeling quite jealous. Crazy, huh? Not of their relationship, but because Boo is so beautiful and I love that he is mine, but for all of the visitors in the church that day, Boo was clearly HER child. She is African-American. They MATCHED. No one would ever think he belonged to the anxious lady in the back.
I totally get this. I have a (black) friend who has a (half-white) son. Every time I think about going somewhere with him it occurs to me that everyone who sees us will assume that J is his and the baby is "ours." Does it really matter what someone else thinks? No, but it still weirds me out.
ReplyDeleteI get this. I was recently asked if I was the nanny while on the bus. By the number of people that approached me on their way out to say that they knew I was her mom, I must have gotten a very interesting look on my face when that question was asked. It's just...awkward. I don't even know how else to put it. But as long as our kids know that we are the moms, that's what really matters, right?
ReplyDeleteIf it makes you feel better, someone asked this week if I was Ashu's grandma. ;-)
ReplyDeleteYes. I've been there. For me it's pride. I'm so proud of them. I want everyone to know their mine.
ReplyDeleteYou paint such a picture with your words.
Love you.
Yes, pride is definitely a huge part of it. I am so proud of our family, of our boys!
DeleteHi Evelyn. First time commenter. I was hoping for some advice. I am considering adopting a little boy who is considered severely deaf. I was wondering if you would be willing to talk to me about cochlear implants. My email is littlezayden@yahoo.com. Thank you for your consideration. Sue
ReplyDeleteSue, I would love to talk to you about this. I will e-mail you my contact info.
Deletesigh
ReplyDelete