Once, I was with Scootle and Boo at an Aquarium with friends. It was busy that day. I was able to keep Boo close, but excited Scootle was racing from exhibit to exhibit. At one point, I see that he is getting too far away and I start to call out to him. Oblivious, he keeps on walking ahead and I lock my eyes on him and try to catch up. Two older African-American women are near Scootle as he starts looking around. They see he is lost and one of them gently guides Scootle to an African-American family at an exhibit even further away. I keep calling out to him and finally the woman's friend gives her an elbow jab and raised eyebrows, throwing her head back in my direction. The woman registers all of this and returns Scootle to me, with much apology. This is both comical and frustrating. I know they meant well and I do not blame them. It is just frustrating to think of the implications of my lost child getting "returned" to the wrong people!
Something similar happened with Boo. Last summer, we had an extended family vacation at a beach. At the beach, Boo is completely deaf. His processors cannot get wet, so we take them off. I sometimes try to leave them on when he plays in the sand, but he is so used to it that he doesn't even want them. This means that Boo ends up playing by himself, content in his own little world, hearing nothing. Due to the tides that particular week, we set up our chairs on top of a small hill. Below the hill were little tidepools that the kids liked to play in. Boo was content staying there by himself while the big kids played in the surf. There were at least four adults up on the hill watching over him. He gets up and starts walking around the pools. A couple comes walking up the beach. (You can guess what happens next, can't you?) They decide he is lost and start ushering him in our direction. I jump up and go down the hill, mama bear mode. They come to tell us that this poor little boy is lost and ask if we have seen his family. I let them know emphatically that WE are his family. I am sure they were flabbergasted and mortified, but I don't even look at them. I just scoop him away. FRUSTRATING!
| Boo at the beach just last week, in his own world |
At a grocery store I frequent REGULARLY with my kids, one of the workers there would always look at us. Finally, she got the nerve to ask me if I was a social worker. White woman + black kids = social worker? I can't quite pinpoint all the reasons why, but the scenario still makes me sad. I think our culture thinks white people + black children = charity. Not so! How could I possibly explain to the world how much I needed children in my life? How can I explain that as much as one thinks adoption is a "good thing," that the "good thing" is only a tiny piece of the big, complicated puzzle? (Note to self: try to illustrate this puzzle!)
These stories rest uneasily in my gut. There are no easy excuses or answers for how people acted here. I am not even exactly sure how to react. I am left confused, enraged. I confess I am also left snickering a bit. How about you? Do you have stories like this to share?
I was trying to explain to one of my mom friends (she's not an adoptive mama or clearly I wouldn't have been trying to explain this). I was saying how much being a white parent of a black kid has influenced my parenting style- how I'm always conscious in every situation that my kid is 'known by all' to be my kid. How I catch myself purposefully going up to my kid and wiping a nose or fussing with her coat or whatever with the intent of letting everyone in the area know that she is with me- for better or for worse- I'm sure it's annoying to be my kid in this situation and maybe someday I'll chill out about it, but like I said, this is the only kind of mothering I know how to do. My mama friend who I was talking to was quite shocked and I could see that she'd never imagined such a way of being.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that something? There are so many aspects to our parenting that is so foreign to closest friends and family. That has been a little disheartening at times for me, especially when a good friend thinks I am blowing attachment and/or racial issues out of proportion. It reminds me of myself before I had kids ... you think you understand something, but you cannot fully know until you live it.
DeleteI like your strategy, though. I think I do it, too, without realizing it. I use "son" a lot in public. I also feel all warm and fuzzy when they stop playing in a busy playground and run to me saying"mommy!"
I was at a little childrens' museum today and a little girl (4?) asked a group of grown ups where the girls with black skin's mom was. I said I was their mom and she asked me how could I be if I have this skin? This happens ALL the time. Her big sister came over and tried to shut her up and shuffle her away before I could answer. THAT is the frustrating part, when grown ups (usually) intervene and try to stop the exchange, implicitly telling my kids that there is something wrong here. I hate that the most.
ReplyDeleteI keep thinking about this beach story. So hard.
ReplyDeleteThe other day at the shops, I rolled my eyes at my kids' behaviour and someone said to me that it was 'good practice' for me. I had no idea what they meant and then it hit me - oh, right, they dont' think these are my kids. That's the first time that's happened so obviously, and it really hurt!
Ugh, Claudia. My heart hurts at your encounter.
Delete