9 days ago, I posted on Facebook:
Evelyn .... Has a decree: "No sweets till I see my sweets!" (Except for my Chocolate Gourmet class, of course.)
I wanted to do SOMETHING to honor my feelings. I wanted to stop using sweets to cover up the hurt, the emptiness. I needed to do something to stop my weight gain (arrggghhh!). I wanted to cut something out I really loved, so that every time I craved it, I could re-focus, think and pray about my little ones. It does and doesn't make sense, but I felt I had to do something, boycott something, resist something. Bill has his own little resistance going on. See the picture? That's right, he is keeping a goatee until we get a referral. He is hating it - so am I! (He looks nice, but is just not as kissable!) BUT, we are both happy to be doing SOMEthing in protest of this wait.
What happened after my facebook post is just crazy. Other people have joined in my sweet-lessness (Stacy started it)! I never intended to start a sweet boycott, but I have! It is a small boycott, but it makes me feel stronger. I have counted about 9 people raging against their sweet urges in solidarity with us. Crazy, huh?
So, I have been sweet-less for 9 days and will continue to be sweet-less until I see the faces of my little ones in a referral picture. When I DO see their faces, there is going to be some sweet eating around here (and I suspect around where some of you are, too)! As for my Chocolate Gourmet Class, I signed up for it before the boycott - a one evening class on artisinal chocolates and chocolate baking. I WILL be participating fully. (It is only fair that if I get September 16th off, some of you should, too, so mark your calendars. )
I decided to use some beautiful prayer beads made by a friend of mine to pray every morning more specifically for my children, their bio family and their caretakers, to add a spiritual dimension to this boycott. How have these 9 days been? Well, besides almost fainting and loosing my bearings when my grocery store re-did the entire store, adding a whole new section of imported chocolates, including my super sweet favorite Crunchie bar for $1.29, it has been pretty good. I miss my chocolates, gelatos, cookies and baking, but I feel so much closer to my children. Maybe this makes sense after all....
i feel closer to them too. watching what you guys have been going through has given me such a helpless feeling but now i don't feel so helpless.
ReplyDeleteit's strange - i can't say i understand it - but it's very powerful
just a bit of mindfulness a few times a day that we are really all here together
hmmmmm
could your children be changing the world already before they even get here?
how cool is that?
It is going to be amazing when your referral arrives! I remember us waiting together and the many, many turns and details that make referrals going out "not ours". Now we're making 2 months today home with our daughters and it is even better than we ever could have hoped! I am so confident your children will be perfect for you and Bill! I already feel like our girls have been with us as long as we waited and that is FAR from the case. We're praying for you and your children and admiring your grace and perspective.
ReplyDeleteStrong ones, you two are! The goatee looks great, sorry about the itchiness. I feel the same way about my husband. The facial hair looks great, but tough on my own skin. You amaze me with your ability to keep your chin up through this wait. I am so pleased to read anything you write. I do understand the not writing at times, but it's so good to hear from you.
ReplyDelete[Confession] Little Bit shoved a peanut M&M in my face a few days ago and I popped it in my mouth before I thought about it.
ReplyDeleteOther than that I'm right there with you. We'll have to have a chocolate/shaving referral party for you! With chocolate shavings...
I have not been able to stop eating ice cream in egregious amounts all summer, it's to the amount of embarrassment. But I will join - I will NOT EAT ICE CREAM until you get your referral!!! Not one dribble of the stuff....
ReplyDeleteCindy
Oh, wow!
ReplyDeleteI konw what you mean about the comfort eating - for the first time in my *life* I've actually been consciously thinking 'now what is there to eat around here that might release some endorphins?'
Very impressed by your ability to give it up. Wish I could say the same. Instead, I've decided to watch all of Pride and Prejudice in a week. How's that for a waiting strategy, huh?
ps thanks so much for your lovely comment. Not preachy at ALL - thanks for passing on those words... very wise!
Evelyn....day 7 tomorrow of no chocolate. it feels good, and i know it will taste so so sweet when we hear of your referral. oh, by the way, we are going public today, we are adopting again:)
ReplyDelete