Evelyn and Kibru, at about hour 2 of the 30 hour journey home from Addis Ababa
You are not alone. Here are some other posts about the "lowdown" of the first few weeks at home with internationally adopted children. Sleep deprivation + jet lag + sickness = your worst self ever. Subtract just one thing and your self is still pretty beat down. This is not everyone's experience, but it certainly was (is) mine. The silver lining - things are getting better and better every day.
"There is Only One Word..." by Claudia
"Surfacing" by Claudia
"Day Four at Home" by Claudia
"Sleep" by Claudia
"Post Adoption Panic" by Melissa Faye Greene
"Mother Fail" by Julie
"So Much to Say" by Julie
"One Month Together" by Rahel
"5 Month Summary from Mom" by Kim
"Don't Call Me Mama" blog by Elizabeth Rias
If you have any more links that I should add here, please include it in a post! Amasaganalo!
'your worst self ever' is exactly right. Spot on.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear that things are getting better. So, so glad.
Good idea! I think the mere fact that even in your 'lowdown' period you are still thinking of ways to help the others coming along shows that you are going to be just fine mama :-)
ReplyDeleteI've been a silent reader for a while now, but I just have to thank you so much for posting this, and for your honesty about your feelings in your first days home. We're waiting for a referral for our first child right now. I know that I'll be coming back to read these posts for reassurance once we come home. Your candor is much appreciated!
ReplyDeletegreat title! true emotions.....i think other adoptive families understand the true paradox of waiting, wanting, loving, but still really struggling.....
ReplyDeletelook at that
ReplyDeleteyou are your worst self ever
and
your still helping others
you are a rockin mom
you are a role model for us
and your children
hang in there
it does get better
but first they have to sleep
after every cry you've built a teeny little lesson for him
'look, you cry all night and i'm still here in the morning'
that's a big lesson
great job mom and dad!
Love to you. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteSo glad it is getting better everyday, so glad for you, amiga. You will be elevated.
ReplyDeleteCindy
Yes, you will parent much better later. . . but you are keeping your family and your sanity together, and that's all that is asked of you this week -- the Sit Sleep Stare week.
ReplyDeleteAnd then it gets better!
Thanks so much for compiling that list! I think it will help many of us - and I hope it helped you, too. Glad to hear each day is better than the last.
ReplyDeleteI posted this many months after I wrote it- It was sitting in the files under "draft" laugh- http://calderoneadoption.blogspot.com/2010/01/5-month-summary-from-mom.html
ReplyDelete