Sunday, April 03, 2011

Unexpected Tenderness

My sweet, wonderful, talented Bill has gotten an opportunity to go to South Africa for 10 days.  I am so proud of him.  He left this morning.  This is the longest any of us will be apart since being a family of four.  I have been a little nervous about 10 days of solo mom (lowering my head in embarrassment before all single moms out there).  I have been especially nervous because, let's face it, I get anxious and angry easily - something I'd been able to hide for years by spending time in solitude and meditation, which now, are, of course, absolutely, gone from my life.  Anyhoo, I don't want to get snotty with my rambunctious boyses, so I have planned a trip to visit BOTH sets of grandparents.  I will only be solo mom for about three days.  Thank goodness for grandparents!!

Today, my anxiety level was raised considerably, because I woke up with all of the symptoms of a big, bad, painful cold - not the everyday kind, but the nasty kind.  The sea urchin is back and making itself comfy in my throat, my head throbs with pain and all my muscles ache.  One good side of me being sick is that it makes me incredibly low energy and mellow.  I have been sweet as pie to Scootle-doot and Boo-boo today.  I've been able to go with the flow because I am too weak to fight the flow.  We all napped half the afternoon, played outside and had our normal bed-time routines.

Here is where the unexpected tenderness comes in.  To be straightforward, the particular boy that sends my temperature through the roof is Scootle-doot.  He bothers his brother, he screams a lot, he doesn't listen - you know - four year old stuff with a little extra spice thrown in.  We are incredibly alike - bad combo.  Anyway, tonight, I sat them both on my bed to read.  I told Scootle-doot that Mommy didn't feel good, that my legs and head hurt a lot.

**** An aside:  Scootle was a tiny boy for his age when we brought him home from Ethiopia.  He has grown so incredibly fast in the past 15 months - from wearing 24 mo clothes to now 5T.  All of this growing has given him terrible shin splints that Bill and I massage for him to get relief. ****

So when I told him that mommy's head and legs hurt, he didn't even blink.  He put one of his hands on my leg and one on my forehead and he began massaging me in exactly the way we massage him.  He asked me if I felt better, earnestly as could be.  Son, you have no idea.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, what a sweet, sweet heart underneath all that rambunctious boyness.
    I hope Bill has a GREAT trip! And you all have fun with the grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome and honest post. Have no fear because those 10 days are gonna fly so quickly and you´ll accumulate a lot of great moments like the one today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What part of South Africa is Bill going to? How exciting for him. I hope you write about his time there.

    Little A is so sweet, massaging you like that. I love it.

    BTW, I thought that four years old with my boy was THE toughest time ever. I wanted to bang my head on the floor. I think I did bang my head on the floor. Hugs, Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a story where a boy takes care of his mama. I hope Bill has a great and safe trip--would love to know more, I have lots of colleagues in South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, you made me cry, Evelyn. Or Scootle-doot did. But I will be praying for your head and your body as you solo parent and/or travel with this cold :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. my heart just went whirly. what sweetness from your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, that's so lovely. ::sniff::

    Sounds like he somehow knew what you needed to encourage you to get through the next ten days.... long may the sweetness continue!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, my heart just melted a little bit. So, so sweet. I also love that you identified the similarities in personalities and how that's not always the best combination. I think a lot of people aren't aware of things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That should help fuel you through the next 10 days! What a sweet heart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. Hope your time while Bill is gone is easier than expected, fun, fulfilling and not too much *argh!* involved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Evelyn, I just loved this. Our kids can floor us with such kindness and innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so, so sweet. Makes me tear up, too. Hope Bill has a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. *sigh* love that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweeeet Scootle-doot. Oh my goodness.

    Grace and healing to you for the next 8 days especially.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...