I can't remember the times here, so I'll just do chronological order. I almost quit mid-day, but came back to it. This is my typical Monday.
I woke up too groggy and too late to get in gear. Along with this Earl Grey, I had a piece of toast with egg, truffle salt and a bit of shaved Parmesan. Yummy.
I take Scootle-Doot to school on M/W/F and Bill does T/Th. Whoever takes him also goes to the gym.
Now the following is a morning ritual for Scootle. We wait in the carpool lane, so that a teacher can open the door for him. Today he was off, because he usually beats the teachers in being first to say, "Good morning." My favorite teacher also didn't open the door today. She calls him her sunshine. That makes me happy.
This is his last week of school. I have wanted to take this picture all year. I wish I had gotten a better view, because he usually looks so small and so capable beside the big building. My little sunshine.
Heading over a bridge to get to the gym. I live in a very beautiful city, but with some major inequalities. This river divides my neighborhood from grocery stores, a mall, better schools, a gym and all kinds of things one needs within a 5-10 min drive. Many people in my neighborhood have no cars. This bridge does not have a pedestrian walk or bike lane, only 6 lanes of very fast traffic. Bus service sucks. Our neighborhood has none of the things mentioned. Go figure.
I didn't take my camera in the gym, but these are my lifesavers for a workout - agua e musica.
Actually, I was listening to a podcast while I worked out. Good nuggets to think about.
Bill is off to work. I make a mango and coconut water smoothie. Gotta feed the Brazilian in me.
Boo-boo plays by himself while I shower. I am still running late and when I scoop him up to head to speech therapy, I realize he has lost an ear. Arrrr! I spend about 10 minutes looking for the thing.
Off to therapy!
The hospital where he had his surgery and where he gets weekly speech therapy. The International Adoption Clinic we used is also here. Some people travel an hour or so for these services. We are so lucky to be only 15 minutes away. I love the people inside this building!
Blue skies and baby yelling in my ear. Perfect.
In the waiting room.
Boo-boo and his ST. I also did a video. Will post another day.
Back accross town to pick up Scootle. He is in the middle of lunch.
Mr. Smile-a-lot
Sporting their new shades.
He didn't eat breakfast (his eating is completely perplexing to me), so he gobbles down lunch ... Lentils Madras from Costco.
Bill joins us for lunch later. He eats leftover arroz con pollo.
This is where I almost gave up. I was feeling SO tired. I took a nap while Scootle played and Boo-boo did not fall asleep for his nap (his sleep is also completely perplexing to me). There were a couple of battles of the wills and I had one of those moments where I just didn't feel like parenting. I did not take any pictures for about 3 hours.
Yogurt for "nack," as Boo-boo calls it.
Scootle watches Boo to make sure he isn't making a mess. Scootle just finished cleaning up the back porch and is very particular about it, for a few hours at least.
Sesame Street while they wait on Daddy to return from work.
Meanwhile, I make a quiche.
Daddy is home, so it is bath time.
Playing while the darn quiche takes its time baking.
Dinner.
Boo-boo has been getting better at saying our prayer together before meals. He even asks to pray. NOT TODAY! You can tell from this video that I'd had it at this point.
Silliness for the camera.
I read to Boo while Bill reads to Scootle.
Now Bill goes to work on our new deck - yipee :)
We let the boys read in bed for a while before turning off the lights. Today, they are asleep pretty fast, thanks to the nap debacles.
I start the uploading...
I go to bed early because I want to read for a while.... goodnight!
I love everything about this day! Most especially the videos and mostest especialiest the dinner video! I love your honesty! I need to video our prayers at dinner and tonight I will because of you!
When am I going to see you again?! Any day other than today is too long away!
I can't see the videos yet (the sound would lead people to believe that I was not working...ha!)...but I love your pictures! Especially of you standing on the tub for that shot. So creative. I love how you spent quality time with each person, and did something for yourself too...working out and reading. And oh my gosh, your food and smoothie sound amazing. Oh how I wish I could cook or at least loved it! You rock girly. And I want to sit on that new back deck when it's finished...k? Miss you!!!
I usually have a moment most days where I've sort of lost the parenting momentum.
And I love the idea to use coconut water in smoothies!
The whole transportation/ services/ access thing is a major issue in our country. Every instance I've seen ends up rooted in racism +/or the power of $.
And, I wanted to tell you that listening to podcasts got me through marathon training - I almost always listened to Krista Tippett. It was some of the most rewarding running I've done, even if I was moving slowly.
I love that you posted videos. Hearing your voice/accent makes me happy.
A few loves of your day... I love your honesty. I love Scootle watching over Boo. I love that you actually make quiche, not from the freezer. I love the teacher in the video and that the other teacher calls Scootle Sunshine. I love that Bill is building your deck. J. built ours too.
And btw, have we ever talked about how much Boo looks like M.? M. has lost a lot of his baby face but there are pictures of Boo that make me do a double take.
Evelyn, this post makes me just love you! You are so real, and so adorable. Those videos are great, wow, what a lot of work to get this post all together! Yeah, the way the city is divided is messed up, huh? Why no reliable public transportion, at the very least? Anyway, great post, thanks for sharing!
What a day -- and a beautiful day anyway, because all days have their share of stuff, but you can look back on them and smile. I love you and all those sweet faces in the pictures!
I love you and your family. I think it is so brave that you chose a MONDAY, always a tough day over here. I love, love, love the dinner grace video- looks like my house but your food is homemade. Wish you lived closer. And thank you for reporting on the moments you didn't fell like parenting anymore. Glad I'm not the only one.
This post is just so YOU - taking a moment to care about the inequalities in your city and how it affects your neighbors, being totally brave and honest about the tough parts of parenting, relishing the little moments that are so important - I love the whole thing!
I did my photos over a week ago and haven't gotten around to posting them yet, hopefully soon...
Thank you for starting my day with smiles.
ReplyDeleteI love you all.
becky
I love everything about this day! Most especially the videos and mostest especialiest the dinner video! I love your honesty! I need to video our prayers at dinner and tonight I will because of you!
ReplyDeleteWhen am I going to see you again?! Any day other than today is too long away!
Love you woman!
I can't see the videos yet (the sound would lead people to believe that I was not working...ha!)...but I love your pictures! Especially of you standing on the tub for that shot. So creative. I love how you spent quality time with each person, and did something for yourself too...working out and reading. And oh my gosh, your food and smoothie sound amazing. Oh how I wish I could cook or at least loved it! You rock girly. And I want to sit on that new back deck when it's finished...k? Miss you!!!
ReplyDeleteOh yes, party on that new deck!
ReplyDeleteI usually have a moment most days where I've sort of lost the parenting momentum.
And I love the idea to use coconut water in smoothies!
The whole transportation/ services/ access thing is a major issue in our country. Every instance I've seen ends up rooted in racism +/or the power of $.
And, I wanted to tell you that listening to podcasts got me through marathon training - I almost always listened to Krista Tippett. It was some of the most rewarding running I've done, even if I was moving slowly.
ReplyDeleteI love that you posted videos. Hearing your voice/accent makes me happy.
ReplyDeleteA few loves of your day... I love your honesty. I love Scootle watching over Boo. I love that you actually make quiche, not from the freezer. I love the teacher in the video and that the other teacher calls Scootle Sunshine. I love that Bill is building your deck. J. built ours too.
And btw, have we ever talked about how much Boo looks like M.? M. has lost a lot of his baby face but there are pictures of Boo that make me do a double take.
Evelyn, this post makes me just love you! You are so real, and so adorable. Those videos are great, wow, what a lot of work to get this post all together! Yeah, the way the city is divided is messed up, huh? Why no reliable public transportion, at the very least? Anyway, great post, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a day -- and a beautiful day anyway, because all days have their share of stuff, but you can look back on them and smile. I love you and all those sweet faces in the pictures!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a wonderful day! Happiness and smiles all around. I too like the coconut water idea!
ReplyDeleteDinner prayer video made me laugh out loud and feel better. Thank you so much. I'll try tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteI love those Madras Lentils! Great day in photos. I keep meaning to do this, but it never seems like the "right" day. We'll see...
ReplyDeleteI love you and your family. I think it is so brave that you chose a MONDAY, always a tough day over here. I love, love, love the dinner grace video- looks like my house but your food is homemade. Wish you lived closer. And thank you for reporting on the moments you didn't fell like parenting anymore. Glad I'm not the only one.
ReplyDeleteI love the video of the Prayer Fail. So fantastic. I should video my kids praying, sometimes they get very long winded.
ReplyDeleteThanks for inspiring everyone to do these posts!
I especially loved the videos, too! That last one made me laugh and laugh and laugh.
ReplyDeleteLook at you getting all fancy with the videos. It is really great to hear your voice in there. Mine is coming soon!
ReplyDeleteThis post is just so YOU - taking a moment to care about the inequalities in your city and how it affects your neighbors, being totally brave and honest about the tough parts of parenting, relishing the little moments that are so important - I love the whole thing!
ReplyDeleteI did my photos over a week ago and haven't gotten around to posting them yet, hopefully soon...